Lac Louise!

Lake Louise Travel Blog

Lake Louise
Lake Louise was the end of our adventure in Banff National Park, but what an end! We turned off of Highway 1 late in the afternoon, drove past the tiny town of Lake Louise, and up to the Lake itself. Right at the edge is the massive Fairmont Hotel. I was struck by the sight of this immense building in such a remote location. I have never found the words to describe the sensation - a complex composite of the knowledge that men undertook the construction this grand structure in such a grand natural setting, of the feeling of isolation from the mainstream, of the idea that even before transportation became easy, people made the arduous journey to this spot to relax and admire the world we live in.
Glacial Lake Louise.
That's still not quite it. Complete wonder, I guess. I really wish I had taken a picture of that scene, to preserve the moment in more than just my mind's eye.

The day was cooling off. We walked past the hotel to see the lake. Even in summer, the water is too cold to swim in since it comes from the glacier. People use canoes, or hike the trails around the lake and further up into the hills. The lake, and the mountain backdrop, were gorgeous. The water was so blue. We dipped our fingers or toes in. It was pretty cold, alright! There was a group of French tourists, including a bunch of kids, having their picture taken. Instead of "cheese!", the photographer kept having them say "Lac Louise!" Pretty cute.

My sister still says this is the most beautiful place she has ever seen. We had a disposable panoramic camera with us. (Remember when they made those? I can't find them anywhere anymore.) For her graduation present, I had our panoramic of Lake Louise blown up into a poster and framed it. What a great trip. I hope we get to take another one together soon!
photo by: mountaingirl