Journey To Langkawi

Langkawi Travel Blog

It is Visit Malaysia Year 2007. Being a patriotic guy, instead of choosing fancy overseas trips, I decided to travel within the country. As they said, "Malaysia Truly Asia". Malaysia has so much to offer, why take the fuss to spend lots of money on overseas where you can have everything (almost) you want to see here.

Langkawi? Penang? Which one should I choose? Both of them are equally appealing. I would just like to spend some time on the beach with the cool sea breeze gently beating on my body. In the end, Langkawi seems to be the ideal spot for a therapeutic holiday.

The ferry ride from Kuala Kedah jetty to Langkawi was smooth. I slept soundly. When I first step foot on the Langkawi's jetty, the first word that I uttered was 'Oh My God"! It was so beautiful. The Langkawi's jetty was of international standard. An air-conditioned building greeted me, it houses some of the top retailers in the world, with the like of Starbucks, BodyGlove and Sembonia. I was truly blown away.

It took us some time before we reached our resort - Frangipani. It was beautiful, we stayed in beautiful garden suites with open bathrooms. To my despair, the beach was rather dissappointing. It was short, the wave was strong and the ocean is not crystal clear, it was nothing to shout about. We drove out to town for dinner and after we strolled around for a short while, we went back to the resort for some much needed rest.

The next day promised more fun. We went island hopping and watched eagle feeding. The islands were beautiful but I was in no mood for a swim in the sweltering heat. The much promised fish massage didn't materialize. I soaked my feet in the water for half an hour but not even one fish came near me. All I saw was wild monkeys snatching food from tourists and rubbish everywhere. It was such a sorry state. Plastic bags and cans were everywhere. Human beings are just so selfish. If something is to destroy the world, it will be human being.

Then next came eagle feeding. It was awesome to see eagles swirling in the air before diving for food. It was a rare sight and especially excited for me who is an animal lover and environmentalist. To my horror again, selfish human beings throwed plastic bags into the ocean. Although it was not much, but it is not forgivable. Imagine the eagles mistake it for food, what will happen then. Can't this stupid people grow up.

We went back and took a quick shower before we headed to our next destination. Along the way, we stopped at the much anticipated bread shop which I have heard of it so many times. "The Loaf" - the name of the bread shop, is owned by our beloved ex-PM, Tun Dr. Mahatir. The breads smelled good and it was delicious, to have the bread with a soft and smooth texture in my mouth really put me on cloud nine.

It did not take us long before we reached the Cable car, which is situated nearby in Oriental Village. It cost RM15 but I have to say it is worth every penny. The view was breathaking. The highest station lead us to a curved suspended bridge. Clear blue sky, deep blue ocean, thick green forests is all you will see. It was a magnificent sight.

We headed to town again for dinner. We shopped around the area. Surrounding me was beautifully wrapped chocolates, heavenly smelt perfumes and colourful tempting looking alchohols.

The next day, it was time for us to leave this beautiful island. It made me realised that Malaysia has so much to offer. Malaysia is truly Asia. I couldn't agree more.