Time to start home

Polokwane Travel Blog

Woke up late this morning and didn't get checked out on time.  I was so comfortable in the bed, under the sheets and blankets... that I was sleeping like a little baby.   But my time here is coming to a close so I must get on the road.

I had a simple breakfast of Rooibos Tea (best tea in the world in my humble opinion) and some biscuits, got the car packed and headed out. I knew it was going to be a long ride and decided to do it in two days. I would be stopping in Pietersburg (or Polokwane as they call it now) for the night.

The drive out of the park was exciting!!  As I passed this one field there were impala grazing, but off in the distance I saw something I had been hoping to see... Water Buffalo!! There were about 5 of them in the distant field and they were walking towards me.

So, I parked the car and just wated. They drew closer and closer but still not in good effective range of my 400mm lens.  But I did get some pictures and can say now that I have seen 4 of the Big 5 animals on my trip (Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Water Buffalo... the missing animal was a Leopard). After getting pictures, I stared my drive off only to be greated by a heard of Zebra. Again, I pulled off the road and waited.... which was a blessing because they decided to continue there movement right across the road in front of me. How awesome that was.... again, more pictures! (smile).

The drive continued, back through the Tea Plantation, Banana, Mango, Macadamia Nut fields... back through the towns and villages I had once passed before, waving to my new friends at the Fig Tree Lodge in Thohoyandou and then on to Pierterburg/Polokwane.

Pietersburg / Polokwane, is the capital of Limpopo, is the largest city in Northern South Africa.

Steps to accommodations in Kruger
 Its proximity to the neighbouring countries of Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Swaziland, as well as its convenient distance from the Kruger National Park and Magoebaskloof, makes it a perfect location for visitors.

Polokwane is one of the fastest growing cities in the southern hemisphere. Founded in the gold rush days of the 1880s, it has witnessed Stone Age nomads, Iron Age settlements, European migrations, wars and political upheaval. For tourist it promises an abundance of fascinating historical sites and attractions.

I found a nice place to stay, rested a while then headed out for dinner. I decided on trying the South African interpretation of Pizza and it was pretty good!  If you are every in Polokwane, Romans pizza is the place to go!

One more day... and I am on my way home!

The front porch