More Fun in Thohoyandou

Thohoyandou Travel Blog

me a the falls
Today looks like it will be another fun day.  Mostly just plan on relaxing a bit and traveling around the area to see what is here and visit with the community.

A pleasant surprise is that my host from the Fig Tree Lodge is going to be my tour guide.  As we piled into the truck we were off on a new adventure.

The first place we stopped was a local waterfall called Phphidi Water Fall.  This is considered a sacred area for the local people and you have to pay a fee to get into it.  Again, this is Africa... you would not expect to see lush green areas or waterfalls, but here we were at one.  Once completing a short drive down a very dusty, rough, rocky road the parking area was reached.... now the hike begins.  Luckily it was not a long hike down to the bottom of the falls.
the falls
.. but what a view.  Though this is the dry season, the falls were still breathtaking.  Cascading down over the rocks to a small pool below.  In the wet season I am told there are four separate waterfalls flowing into the pool.  The water is crystal clear then... unfortunately it was a bit muddy this time of year.  Spent quite a bit if time here talking, taking pictures and just enjoying the beauty of the area.

Then it was pile back into the truck and of to the tea plantation.... yes, I said Tea Plantation. As we drove through the countryside all we could see were these rolling green hills, lush green forests and beauty everywhere.  The tea plantation was spectacular!  Driving up the side of a mountain on dirt roads, pass through one field after another of tea plants.
the falls
  Every once in a while we would see Vervet monkeys running through the fields between the plants trying to get away from the crazy people in the rolling cage!

Our final tour event was a drive through the national forest.  This is a protected area owned by South Africa that is used for growing trees for lumber.  However, there are areas of the forest that are protected and considered sacred ground and are not allowed to be entered or touched.  Again, something I would have never expected to see in Afrcia were rows and rows, acres and acres of forest area.  Gum and Pine trees flurish there.  They grown quickly and can be harvested.  Once harvesting is complete they replant the area with new trees.  We got some breathtaking views of the countryside and dam from atop the local mountain top.

Then it was back down the mountain and back to Thohoyandou we needed to get supplies for dinner so off to the local market. Grovery stores in S.A. are just like in the states.. rows and rows of food, canned goods, dry goods, etc.  As wel as long lines at the checkout counter!  But, it is all part of the experience of South Africa.

the falls
sacred forest in the middle of the…
sacred forest in the middle of th…
tea plantatio