Childrens Care Center

Manzini Travel Blog

One of my new friends

Ocean storm and 10,000 starfish. – A huge storm descends upon an island and ten’s of thousands of starfish are washed ashore.  A young man saw what happened and starts one by one throwing them back into the ocean. A elderly man walks by and notices the young boys actions and tells him. Young man you are wasting you time.  With this many starfish on the shore what good will your actions do? The young man says… ‘it will do goo for this one as he throws one it, it will do good for this one as he threw the next one in…’

It is that way with the children of this nation… there are thousands of children whom are victims of AIDS in situations beyond their own control…. Yet, all it takes is to take action and start one child at a time. Though the action seems small, the impact is huge!!!  It all starts with one child!

Today at the center it was very difficult to warm up to the children.

The team at a Childrens Care Center
  But, never wanting to waste an opportunity I started non-verbally communicating with a little boy who was playing on a slide. Once he noticed me he started to smile… and want to slide more…. Next thing I knew there were about 20 kids struggling for position on the slide.. All it took was to show some interest…. The rest happened naturally.

In another moment, this little girl was just standing by herself and I went over to her and knelt down. I just smiled at her and opened my arms…. She came over and wrapped her arms around me and just held on as I picked her up. (See picture)

One thing I noticed is that these children are fascinated by seeing themselves.  I had one little boy  who would just not leave me alone because all he wanted to do was look at himself in my glasses… how cool!

The team at a Childrens Care Center
Megan taking some pictures from th…
Megan taking some pictures from t…
The South African landscape