Portage Lakes Day 1 of 3

Portage Lakes Travel Blog

I wanted to blog my trips this year.  Pictures are limited because cameras are just impractical on the site.

DAY 1 - Dad and I arrive early in Green, Ohio to get a hotel room for the evening.  Because of some basball tournament, most rooms are taken.  We did find a room at the Quality Inn and Conference Center.  The lady behind the desk said that check in was 3:00, but she'd get me in a room about 1:00 (this was at 10:00) Dad took off with the other guys to New Castle, Penn, to get the fireworks (called shells) and I stayed behind.  I walked to a Staples for supplies and Applebee's for lunch.  After I arrived back at the hotel, the lady behind the desk was in a VERY snotty mood and said in a voice loud enough for me to hear (that and I was standing right there) that "SO many people have tried to check in early and NONE of them are getting a room until 3:00."  Yipes.  Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the den this morning.  So, I cuddled up on the lobby couch with Harry Potter and read until 2:45, when the manager started giving out rooms.  I won't be staying at that hotel again.  She was a real snot... anyway...

We get to the teeny little peninsula that is Portage Lake State Park's fireworks site.  After saying hello to the rest of the crew, we start plugging in 8" and 10" shells.  We got done early enough to plug the 6" as well.  Overall, it's hot sweaty work in sand, poison ivy, and dust, but we get it done.  Mom and Dan (husband) join us for supper at Applebee's (again).  Great waitress, she was incredibly friendly.  Left her a good tip for putting up with two very dirty, sweaty, yucky-looking customers.

Portage Lakes