Chicago, we have landed

Chicago Travel Blog

At the airport with the Benefactress.

I made it!

Tina, my housemate, took me to the airport, even though I bonked her in the head with the trunk lid! Met my benefactress (hereinafter referred to as B) at the gate. We had an uneventful flight to Chicago (my favorite kind of flight!).  Got checked in quickly and the hotel staff assured me that the table would be delivered to the room (and it was).

The room will hold three of us (I'm sleeping on the roll-away). It'll be snug once we start collecting the schwag from the trade show!  :)

B and I walked across the street to the convention center to check out the trade show floor.  What a good time! It's the Craft and Hobby Association trade show and I enjoy the subject matter.

B's happy feet after her massage on Thursday night.
It was set-up day and B worked the floor, introducing me to her many many friends.

She is a craft designer and also writes product reviews for several trade publications, so it seems she knows everyone.  She is also a naturally outgoing, friendly, and fun person.

Almost everyone was impressed that she brought her massage therapist with her.  She was clearly delighted at having me there.

I'm listed with the trade show planners as her workshop assistant, so I can have a badge and get on the floor.  I will also actually be functioning that way for her too.  She's asked me to visit some vendors and tell her what I think of the products as a "regular" craft person.  What catches my eye? What excites me? What looks easy to use? What makes me curious?  This will help her decide what to review in upcoming publications.

I'm looking forward to it!

I headed back to the hotel to bond with my table and figure out how to arrange the room to accommodate the massage table. That's always an interesting little challenge.  We always need more space than most people think we do.

One of B's vendor friends came over and I gave her a 30-minute massage.  She had a locked-up neck and upper back.  After dinner, B came back and I worked on her for an hour.

Wow. I really have not appreciated what these trade shows do to her body. Seeing it first hand, I'm impressed that she's gone to as many as she has and survived! I'm so delighted that she's letting me help her. I'm also grateful for the chance to be able to respond immediately to her daily needs, to make a difference right away.

I'm also feeling a little like her nursemaid, making sure she gets into her PJs right away and into bed to keep her feet warm. I'm feeling more than a bit protective.  :)

This is going to be a great weekend.

At the airport with the Benefactre…
At the airport with the Benefactr…
Bs happy feet after her massage o…
B's happy feet after her massage …
Chicago