A Spanish Town Near France :)

San Sebastian Travel Blog

beach at the centre ville, san sebastian

I have always been confused with the identity of San Sebastian… Unsure if it was a French city near Spain? Or a Spanish city near French? Thus, my excitement was caught unaware when Nicolas announced : ‘ Ok, we are in Spain!’ when we arrived in San Sebastian on a cold Saturday morning.

Oooh lala, I was lost and surprised in the midst of Spanish roadsigns, while frantically trying not to lost track of a friend’s car ahead of us in the bad rainy weather. First stop : The Stadium. Not a usual spot for tourists, but the main objective of the day was to attend a Karate friendly… I am just the eager spectator, tagging along with the French experts for a battle with the Spaniards.

The stadium was impressive though, with especially great facilities for Karate. It was also fun to see many tiny kids running around in their little uniforms, and the destruction of the gym machinery with pure innocence.

After 2 hours of Fight club, the team headed for a typical Spanish lunch in a bar, and I finally witnessed the typical Spanish bar, where tantalizing tapas are laid out for patrons over the counter.. I wouldn’t need any lunch just staring at the portions of the tapas! They are huge as compared to the usual fare served in Singapore! Lunch was a taste of Spanish localities – Tapas, salad, pork and lots of desserts. I also realized that the Spaniards eat really late… Many people were having lunch after 3pm in the afternoon.

We headed down to the Centre Ville to experience a little shopping.

Lucky me, it was the San Sebastian 50th Film Festival, and red carpets were laid everywhere, with eager fans waiting in the drizzle to catch a glimpse of their stars. I caught some stars, though I didn’t know who they were hehe.. We playfully drove slowly along the red carpet in our Mercedes, with David pretending to be a star in shades and jacket hovering over his face, and the occasional wave. I saw silly people taking shots of us while I roared in laughter… A star struck nation lol

The city was cute… I loved the architecture… and the beach was located right at the heart of the centreville. It would have been a nice place to hang out at if the weather was better. Being in Spain, I definitely went to visit Zara… and yes, prices are a lot cheaper as compared to Singapore. I also discovered their new venture – Zara Home… Minimalists design for the modern home… Definitely a place to visit for my next apartment makeover.

It was a short but fulfilling visit to Spain… at least I tasted the local cuisine, experienced getting lost, and roamed the city a little… A sneak preview to seeing more of the country the next time. Sure I’m gonna love it.

beach at the centre ville, san seb…
beach at the centre ville, san se…
glimpse of fame