A Holy Trail

Lourdes Travel Blog

A short visit to Lourdes over the weekend: The famous town of sanctuaries and where Catholics from all over the world travel to do their pilgrimage.

Was fortunate to catch a pilgrimage trail at the Saint Bernadette Cathedral. It was awesome to see thousands of folks (mostly old and wheelchair bound) making a trip to the famous city. I never saw so many sick people in my life, and a silly question made me wonder whether there were enough facilities to accommodate such a huge congregation.

Then I was informed by my fellow companion that Lourdes has the most number of hotels after Paris. Very impressive, considering the vast difference in size between the two areas.

Took a stroll along the centre too. It was full of little shops selling catholic stuff, and the usual touristy shops selling regional products. Madiran and Jurancon wines, plus foie gras in its various forms. Great for gourmet lovers.

Besides the sanctuaries, there is a great view of the Midi-Pyrenees and castles too. I guess I would make another visit to complete my exploration soon :)
vinnyf says:
Hiya I am so glad you have experienced first hand that special something, that 'je n'e c'est quoi' (spelt incorrectly?) that Lourdes has to offer, my life would be not the same without the place. I loove it.
Posted on: Jul 18, 2010
Charm of an old Boulangerie
Charm of an old Boulangerie
The largest vending machine Ive s…
The largest vending machine I've …
A view of the Midi-Pyrenees