Back in Paris, and Appreciating it Better

Paris Travel Blog

So beautiful Sacre Coeur

After some serious reflections, I decided that I do like the metro in Paris after all. Its complicated, but you just concentration, and you'd be able to get wherever you want to in a quick minute. I have also learnt how to feign the look of a Parisien, and stopped carrying maps wherever I went to. Today, I was called a 'salope' = bitch on the streets near the Eiffel tower after I told an odd looking uncle to scram away in French when he started speaking to me. I am sure he was after 1) cigarettes or 2) money, like all the suspicious looking ones that have approached a couple of days ago.

Yesterday, I was lucky to be hosted by Ryan over a good vegetarian lunch he made.. but I had to endure a conversation over cannibalism and the evils of this world.

A very elaborate tomb in Pere Lachaise Cemetery
. :) Well, I can't deny that he's the most humane individual I've met all my life. Due to bad weather, I could only visit Montmarte today. Montmarte's where the great film Amelie was made, and it was cute to see all the familiar surroundings from the movie in life.

A little climbing gets me to the top of Sacre Moeur.. and it was a delightful climb with buskers singing melodious tunes and young couples smooching all over the steps. Well, I can't complain coz it's supposed to be a romantic destination in a romantic city plus romantic music right? There were also strange boys without their shirts trying to get a tan in the open. C'est bizzarde and I wonder what they did when the rain poured in a sudden 20 minutes after I lost sight of them :p

After Montmarte, I wandered the streets a little and ended up in the old Red light district of Paris.

Pere Lachaise Cemetery
. Strange, coz the prostitutes are really old and ugly unlike the ones in Singapore.. I wondered if they ever get any business :p I know I'm mean, but I'm just being realistic. There are lots of beautiful women in Paris, why would anyone buy one of those? But the area was strange, with lots of gigantic sex shops as huge as supermarkets.

In the evening, I returned back to Steeve's place (my host). Steeve and Cedric were completely wasted last evening, and I felt fortunate for not being around :) Steeve returned from work, and he was motionless and drained to get out for dinner, so Cedric and I left to look for a Pizza Hut, that Steeve mentioned was around the corner and a 5 min walk away. God... that started an adventure, coz we walked for the longest time imaginable in the neighborhood and we couldn't find Pizza Hut.

A view of Paris
. WIth the usual French persistency that I have already learnt of before in Singapore, Cedric had to find Pizza Hut by hook or by crook, and we ended walking in the cold evening for an hour.. and repeating the streets of Chemin Vert again and again. It was good though, enough exercise for a huge pizza and I got to see lots of brasseries and bars and the night lives of Parisiens.

After a satisfying dinner of PIZZAHUT, we watched CSI in French and laughed about how the American actors 'spoke' French.. I had a good night and prepared for more touring the next day.

5th July: Last day in Paris before I return in September. After being stupid in Beijing for not visiting the Great Wall of China, I decided to do something touristy and get to the Eiffel Towers. If I didn't like it, at least I could say so and not get poked at by my friends for being ridiculous :p

The Eiffel Tower.

The Red Light District.. Sexodrome Lol!
........ is another tower after all. Hehe.. But I saw the longest queues in my life of eager tourists wanting to get to the top for a scenic view of Paris. I wondered how many honeymooners were there in those neverending lines. If I was in any of those queues, I guess I would waste 2 hours of my life away.

After lots of staring and tries to get awed by the Tower, I took a walk along the Champ De Mars, the park laid below the Eiffel Towers, and counted my steps as I tried to get the best picture of the Towers. After some silly self amusement, the conclusion's 250 steps from the Eiffel Towers as you walk along the park. But I really liked the park.. with lots of people just sitting and doing nothing, enjoying the clear skies, breeze, and a view of an icon.

Lazy to get to the Arc de Triomphe, another must-see tourist attraction, I took a metro and headed back to Pere Lachaise.

Finally I found some Pigeons
Everytime I tell people that I'm staying at Pere Lachaise, they stare at me coz it is actually where a cemetery lies :)

So, I decided to see the cemetery, because it is not an ordinary cemetery. It is an off the beaten track attraction, as the cemetery lays the bodies of famous iconic people who passed away in Paris. I had a good walk around the cemetery, and it was actually a beautiful and peaceful place, with creatively crafted tombs of great militaranians, doctors, actors, poets, and even Jim Morrison. It is also a good place for walking, jogging, or just a moment of thought.

Back at Steeve's, I am pondering how tragic I'd feel having to drag all that bags again as I engage on my journey to Lyon. I remember all those steps in the metro station :( So here I am updating this blog and lamenting at my sheer stupidity for bring that much stuff.. Lyon better be good. Let's wait and see.

emmllerg says:
Enjoy your next vacation to Paris
Posted on: Jun 02, 2013
azsalsa says:
I'm a real cemetery person. I know, sounds strange but it is so peaceful and usually beautiful. I have pics of cemeteries from all over the world....maybe I should make a coffee table picture book!
Posted on: Sep 09, 2008
wanderlass says:
Oh hell, I remember bag dragging. I din carry a backpack like all backpackers. I had a wheeled carry-on and just drag it down the stairs of the metro. I din care. He he. Lotsa luck!
Posted on: Jul 06, 2007
So beautiful Sacre Coeur
A very elaborate tomb in Pere Lach…
A very elaborate tomb in Pere Lac…
A view of Paris
The Red Light District.. Sexodrome…
The Red Light District.. Sexodrom…
Look at those queues!
Look at those queues!
50 steps.. Picture no good :p
50 steps.. Picture no good :p
Ah Oui! 250 Steps tres bien!
Ah Oui! 250 Steps tres bien!
I dont know what this is.. but it…
I don't know what this is.. but i…
A Chinese tomb in Paris