EuropeFranceLyon

Adventures in Lyon.. and Misadventures Too.. :):(

Lyon Travel Blog

Chilling along the river

Lyon is undeniably a beautiful city.. And when I arrived, it was a good break from bustling Paris. On the TGV to Lyon, I broke the handle of my luggage, and it couldn't close! The bag was at the entrance and I was sitting around it, pretending that it's not mine as many people were blocked from entering and exiting :)

Upon arrival in Lyon, my long-time friend, Alban, was at the TGV station to pick me up. Another victim to carry my bags around :) We took the metro, and it was definitely more comprehensive and clean than Paris. Just a little more expensive, but it's well worth it. Starving like crazy by 9pm, we laid our bags and went to a restaurant near the L'Opera called L'Entrecote.

First Tendency.. Great Club!
It was an interesting restaurant, that serves only one menu, : of entrecote and fries. It was definitely tasty, and its a great place for big eaters, coz the portions are refillable :)

On the 2nd day, I wandered around Lyon alone like a lost traveler.. Well.. by now, I've gotten used to getting lost and I stopped suffering from panic attacks. First place : Vieux Lyon. It was a beautiful old square with many narrow roads and old buidings around. Nothing special, but I saw Fourviere from afar and attempted to climb up the hill to reach it. Attempted. Forgot that I was all hungry and thirsty. Halfway along the journey, I was panting and damn, even my candy box was empty. I convinced myself that well, it's another cathedral at the top of the hill with an amazing view of just another city.

Fountain in the Mall
So I took a break at a pit stop, took pictures of the city from there.. and headed downhill once again, in a desperate search of food, water, and a toilet.

After another satisfying Pain o'chocolat, I don't know how many I've eaten since! I roamed around and ended walking by the River Rhone. It's pretty, with many restaurants and bars on boats. The walk landed me in City Hall, and it was a great shopping district, modernism in ancient architecture. The streets are bustling and its nice for people watching. Too bad my asian size hardly fits me into anything, so I bought postcards instead :)

In the night, it was time for partying. Everyone mentioned how amazing Lyon's clubs are, and I was all excited to see what's so good about it. Well.. first stop was a club just around the L'Opera named Ayers Rock.

Carnivorous Plants Eeks!
Doesn't sound too French, does it? It was a pleasant surprise, really crowded and warm.. but the bar had lots of foreign people and a huge student crowd.. all grooving to hip hop tunes.. Not very French, but it kind of reminded me of Singapore, so I gave it a credit.

After Alban, Simone, Romain and the girls got drunk enough to show me hilarious French dance movements; it was time to head to the real stuff.. And we headed to a really chic club in a boat on the River Rhone : Q Boat. I loved the music=heart thumping electronic beats, the interior, but I wondered to myself how many drunk people pollute the rivers with gruesome vomit every night :p Well, it was fun overall and I really enjoyed myself after having abstained from partying or bars for a week.

Last day in Lyon was almost perfect as I visited the beautiful and really huge Tete D'Or park.. which was a cleverly designed park that had a zoo, an amusement centre, and a botanical gardens in it. There were also huge lanes for cycling and blading, plus lots of greenery for people to lay in the park over picnics or nothing.

Well, the only imperfection that seemed to imply C'est La Vie Madamoiselle.. was the theft of my wallet and train ticket in the last 15 minutes before I left Lyon. On the metro. What could I say??? Hmmm...

bernard69 says:
Sorry for yr wallet and train ticket!
Posted on: Jan 07, 2009