AsiaChinaXi'an

Xian

Xi'an Travel Blog

yep, SHARLANA!!! what THA

ok, ok so ive been real slack with these blogs, i seem to be running out of time to do these days and i like still have a month and a half left. Ill start with what I did last weekend! Last weekend, my friend and I hopped on a 12hour train to Xian. I must say it was one of the most comfortable trains I have ever been in, its like a hotel on a train!! 4 people to a cabin, free slippers and a comfy mattress, even more comfortable then mine in nanjing (actually most other beds are comfortable than mine in Nanjjing!!) The cabin was fairly spacious. Adele, my friend, and I spent time playing cards and trying very hard to communicate in chinese to the other chinese couple in our cabin. Unfortunately, not much was understood between us!!! we tried!!

The train was an hour late, but finally we got to Xian at 6:00am, it was a cold and misty and VERY EARLY in the morning!! So many people at the front of the train station, it was like I was famous or something.

awesome ey!!
Me being the organised one, booked a hostel in advance. The people on the phone spoke fairly good english and told me that they would "pick us up" at the station and that they would be holding a sign with my name on it. To my utter surprise, a smily chinese man was holding a sign up, SHARLANA!!!! Seriously, when will anyone get my name spelt right!!! I was cracking up for ages. Everyone was looking at me of course, because I was on my knees laughing!!! at least it was better then SHARLENE GADAMASTER for my Chinese medicine exams in Australia!!!

We met up with him, and started walking away from the station. Expecting to hop into a car, I asked where we were going, he said that way!!! I looked so no car ahead of us..... we were walking to the hostel!!!  It was ok, as it was only a 5minute if that walk to the hostel and we were greeted by very friendly and helpful reception.

One of the originals!! NOT
We immediately organised our tour and theatre and dinner for the day and went to our rooms.

Our tour started at 9:00am. Me and adele hopped into the mini van with other foreigners that seemed very dull and unfriendly!! We seemed to be the only talkative and loud aussies on the bus. My first thoughts on the bus was look at all the pomegranates!!! Xian is surrounded by so many people on the side of the streets selling pomegranates and pomegranate trees. Absolutely everywhere!!! I have to admit Ive never tried a pomegranate!! I wont explain all the sights we went to but of course the main sight worth mentioning is the terricotta warriors. Truly magnificent sight!!! As we get into the building where about 6000 warriors are dug out of the ground and standing in line, hundreds of tourists are flashing their cameras!! If there's only one sight to see its this one!!! We even met the farmer who discovered them!! He was oddly covering his face, as no photos were allowed and you can only really see him if you buy a book for him to sign (surprise, surprise), but hey it was still an experience.

the Tang dynasty performance

When the tour was finished, we were absolutely exhausted!!! We had about an hour before we had to go to a traditional chinese theatrical musical thingy with a dumpling banquet! After a short nap, one of the people from the hostel drove us to the place!! The place was called the Tang dynasty.  The dumpling banquet was one of the best yet. The waitress was very funny and kept on saying, "sorry, for waiting, sorry for waiting" - it was the only english she knew!! The food was delicious and each dumpling was made carefully into what was in it. The fish dumpling was moulded into a fish and had peas as its eyeballs, and the pumpkin dumpling was orange and in a circular shape., etc... May I say the performance was interesting. Men and women were dressed in colourful, traditional chinese clothing performing with musical instruments and singing.

Basically it was a song and dance performance about different Chinese stories. Worth a look!!!

The next day, i call CRAZY MORNING!!! It really started with a bag!!! Before we did anything, we both checked to where our train tickets would b as we were leaving that night. I assumed mine would b in my money pouch. It wasnt. Worry and despair fueled my brain as I carefully again rummaged through my money pouch. it still wasnt there. More worry.... I told adele to check my wallet as it was in her bag, Not there!!! I worry more and more.... I lost my ticket!!! I looked through my whole backpack, every pocket and every zip and section, nothing, nothing and nothing!!! Me being stubborn refused to buy another ticket back to nanjing!!! And asked the reception if the train station could replace my train ticket, they kindly said NO and advised me to go back to the train station and buy another!!! One of the guys recommended I buy a standing ticket, a lot cheaper!!! Guess how much??? 1 yuan!!!! 1 yuan to get to nanjing from xian.

The Great Mosque
I said done and done. So we walked to the train station bought a 1 YUAN ticket back to Nanjing and went back to the hostel to put in our backpacks!! Can you believe it 1 yuan!!! thats like 30cents oz!! for a train trip. Now obviously it would be quite a painful train trip standing for 12 or so hours but hey I was willing to do it!!! My friend checked my wallet one more time and to our surprise the infamous hard sleeper ticket appeared!!! I was totally relieved!!!

After all the huss and fuss with my ticket, we started touring the downtown sights of Xian.Bell tower, drum tower, the great mosque and of course some shopping!!! The great mosque has been one of the best say temples ive been in in China, I know its not a temple, but place of worhip!! It looked original, old and traditional.

tha market!
It really felt calm and relaxing. Even the guy at the front was happy and actually quite funny. He asked us where we were from, like most people do, and as we told him, he randomly pulled out a mini koala out of his pocket!! Wish i took a photo of it, very very random.

After an awesome time in Xian and thanking the guys at the hostel for just being the friendliest people Ive met, we headed to the train station and hopped on our train!! Assuming me and adele would be in the same cabin I followed her. To my shock, we were not in the same cabin, we were neighbours. She was in the top bunk of cabin 15 and I was in the top bunk of cabin 14. The Chinese people in Adele's cabin thought it was quite amusing watching her climb right up the top of a 6 bunk cabin!! I was not very impressed with them.

me on the train home!!
If only I knew what they were saying in Chinese!!! We were on hard sleepers for this train trip. Not as comfy but still quite reasonable!! Most of the time, Adele and I sat on little chairs playing cards. I managed to whoop Adele's arse in Uno!!! Normally Ir eally suck playing any card games except solitaire! With both us fairly exhausted from our day of touring, we both headed to bed at about 9pm and communicated with 3 knocks to say goodnite to each other:)  At 6:00am in the morning, I was rudely woken up by the other 5 people in my cabin. They were all shouting and having a GAY all time playing cards. Seriously, 6:00am in the morning!!! Did they not know I was sleeping!!! They were lucky I didnt no BE QUIET in chinese!!

After about 16 hours on the train, I wondered why were we still on it!! Did we buy the wrong train ticket, did I buy a train ticket going to nanping instead of Nanjing or something!!  Nope, our train tickets said nanjing!! I was aware that it was going to take longer just how long I didnt quite know!!!About 22 hours later, we arrived in Nanjing.

man selling pomegranates
Dont ask me why it took 12 hours to get to Xian but on the way back it took 22 because I have no idea why!!! It's China, they make their own rules up!!!

Xian was awesome:) I think may have to go back again........

One of the  originals!! NOT
One of the originals!! NOT
Drum tower
Drum tower
food market
food market
me with one of the many fake terri…
me with one of the many fake terr…
12,515 km (7,776 miles) traveled