AsiaChinaNanjing

Nanjing - my weekend

Nanjing Travel Blog

sorry guys, wrong way around and i dont know how to change it!!! me around Confuscious

Well its officially the end of the weekend. But before it ends, I thought i might tell you guys about the last couple of days or so:) Arent you guys lucky:)

Thursday was absolutely pouring down with rain. There was thunder and lightning like Ive never seen. And with a view of the mochou lake when it was raining was a sight !!! It was crazy. The following day, its like the rain fall was all a dream. Scorching hot and humid, I'd rather it be raining! Im getting blacker by the day. Crazy weather here and it hasnt just happened once its happened numerous times. Raining then hot, hot weather. It seems to be a pattern over here:)

Last Friday was a fairly laid back kind of day. It seems that our Doctor, Doctor Ai, who is taking care of us for acupuncture has Friday afternoon's off and so he told us to just write up our case records in the afternoon.

jane, adriana
Being a studious and hardworking girl I am (hehe......), I wrote up my case studies the day before. So what did I have to do in the afternoon..... absolutely nothing:) On my two hour lunch break, my friends an I managed to find one of the many dvd stores in Nanjing. I was dying for some english tv and movies!! Chinese cable just doesnt do it for me:) I successfully found numerous series I wanted to watch - sex in the city (season 1 - 6), heroes, house and... GREY'S ANATOMY!!!! For all those people who know me very well, I know I've watched all the season's of grey's, but its worth watching it again. Its the best series ever made! Ok, ok i mite be going a bit over the top! Im just excited about actually watching some english tv.
inside the Hongshan zoo
Do you know how it feels to have like only 1 english channel on Chinese Cable!!! and its CNN!!!! I think I got a bit side-tracked, opps! Anyways, after lunch, me and my colleagues sat in a room, and I just helped my friends with their case records.

On the weekend,  my friends and Iwent to the Hongshan zoo. It is situated on the Metro train line (incidently, thats how i found out there was a zoo in Nanjing!), 4 stations away and a bus trip. The entry fee is damn cheap, 30yuan = $5AU. As you enter the zoo, you are surrounded by luxious green grass and tall, forestry. It feels like your in Jurassic park, but with no dinosaurs:) Its absolutely beautiful and worth going to! For anyone planning to go, make sure you wear some comfy shoes because there's a lot of walking at this zoo and some areas have lots of stairs!!! Fortunately for us, it was a fairly coolish day, so I couldnt complain.

baby leopard
One of the best acts to see is the bird show. But first I must tell you guys something, you not only pay to enter the zoo, you pay to see some of sections of the zoo, like the Butterflies. I wasnt too interested in the Butterflies but the bird show is a must see, 3 yuan!!! I'll post some videos up soon:) I could not believe the things, they taught the birds to do. It was so fascinating to watch. In one act, a cockatoo was riding a mini-bicycle and to steer, he/she used their beak! In another act, a parrot was riding a mini scooter. But one of my favourites was the another parrot picking up pieces to a shape puzzle and putting it back together. It was amazing! Id pay 30yuan for just the bird show! But not all sections of the zoo are worth seeing! For all those animal lovers out there, be shocked! Some animals are enclosed in very small concrete boxes, with bearly anything to play with.
Confuscious
The giant panda bearly had any space to move, some of the tigers were enclosed in boxes as small as about 3m by 3m by 4m. But what got me the most was the monkey enclosure. Dont get me wrong, they had a huge area to play in,  I mean huge, but unfortunaely little kids as well as some adults were chucking bottles, well anykind of rubbish to get their attention, it was so sad:( The zoo is covered in forest, i just dont understand why the animals are enclosed in such small spaces when there's so much room!! Ah well, its just what i think! All in all, im glad i went, it is a beautiful zoo.

Confuscious Temple is one the many sights in Nanjing. Unfortunately I never got to see it as my friends and I were too busy at the markets around the confuscious temple and by the time we were finished about 5-6 hours later we were buggered!!! So I plan to go again.

flamingoes
.... for the temple:) I must admit, it wasnt the best place to go shopping. There were many little stands selling anything and everything. Turtles, bags, silk, dvd's, you name it, they have it. But after being at the market for 6 hours, you find that everything starts to look the same. All the bag shops have exactly the same bags, every second store sells silk clothing and every other store sells some kind of gadget or jewellery or food. I also happened to go to the only Burger King in Nanjing that day too!! Not exactly as popular as McDonalds and KFC over here, so it was easy to find a table:)

sorry guys, wrong way around and i…
sorry guys, wrong way around and …
Nanjing