San Lucas Toliman

San Lucas Toliman Travel Blog

No one here on this website has posted anything about San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala.  I have been here 2 times (December 2005 and December 2006) working closely with many of the indiginous individuals within this community and the surrounding.  This is by far and away one of the most breath taking areas I have ever been throughout my young travels.  The people in this area are very friendly and welcoming which when I stop to think about all they have been through is very unique.  Guatemala 10 years ago was going through a tough civil war and when talking with some families, you find out that many of them have lost family members to the military or they were killed during the war.  Once I began doing service work and spending more time in Guatemala, I have learned so much about the culture, values, and beliefs of the people here.  The countries process of rebuilding has been one that is slow but steady and in just one years time after devestating hurricanes hit the area causing mudslides, I was amazed to see the work they have accomplished in building new houses and such.  This area was more than a life changing experience in the last 2 years but a model of how to live and enjoy life.  I highly recommend this trip to anyone.  Be ready to get down and dirty and see things you couldn't imagine.  Though it is one in the middle of no where and in an area that has been destroyed by war and terror, it is the most touching place with the nicest people I have ever encountered.  This area is every traveler's dream in that it has Volcano's such as Volcan Atitilan (which I conqured) to service work, to day trip to the Mayan Ruins, this country is rewarding, beautiful, and always will allow things that keep us travelers on our feet.  This is one place that individuals travel to and say, "Well it always kept me on my toes," which is something we all live for.
San Lucas Toliman