Visit to a Thai Hospital (Don't worry I'm not Sick)

Bangkok Travel Blog

Today as part of the requirements for my work permit I had to go to a Bangkok hospital for a baseline health check and to receive a Health Certificate.  The firm gave me a coupon so that the certificate would be free and directions to the correct hospital so around noon I left to grab some lunch, make the quick stop at the hospital for the health certificate and get a couple photos taken.  I figured, since transportation would take a little Time, I would be back at the office around 2pm or 2:30pm.  In reality, I finally made it back to the office at 4:30pm

The reason for the delay was that the Hospital that I was sent to is a private hospital and the reason my health certificate was free is that they wanted to have the chance to tell me about all the wonderful things their hospital has to offer so that if I ever need medical attention I will chose their hospital.  To do this, they gave me an hour and a half long tour of the entire hospital.  They have pretty much every piece of high tech medical equipment available and are very proud of all of them.  So much so that our guide even spent 5 minutes showing me their brand new state-of-the-art mammogram machine.  All joking aside, the hospital was very nice and looked more like a hotel than a hospital.  In fact, I have stayed in a lot of hotels where the rooms were not as nice as the rooms at this hospital.  Sticking with the hotel theme, the various grade of rooms have names like "Premium," "Superior," and even "Presidential Suite."  For anyone who doesn't believe me or perhaps is thinking of coming to Thailand for some cheap plastic surgery check this out.

Once I finished the tour, I was able to get my baseline checkup and health certificate completed in less than 30 minutes.  After leaving the hospital I went to a photo shop and had some pictures taken for my work permit, then finally made it back to the office to finish some work before calling it a night.

On the way home I stopped at the Siam Paragon food court (which despite its swanky surroundings is surprisingly reasonably priced) for dinner.  I had a ginger marinated pork dish with rice and did much better with the chopsticks today (I guess I was just out of practice).

John, Miles and I are planning on heading to Ayutthaya tomorrow to see the ruins of the ancient capital of Thailand so I also stopped off at an internet cafe to get information about trains.  Then I came home.

hklasek says:
Ok, the mammogram demonstration cracked me up!
Posted on: Jul 12, 2007
mom0104 says:
Impressive...but hopefully you won't need these services!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2007