The Tailor of Nana

Bangkok Travel Blog

After dinner, we saw a sign advertising 25 minute foot massages for 100 Baht (about $3.25) with the proceeds going to charity.  Since we still had a bit of time before going to Raja's, we decided, "what the heck."  We were taken into a room, where conveniently there were exactly three comfortable chairs with footrests.  We each sat down and took off our shoes and got ready for some relaxation.
It turns out however, that traditional Thai massage is rather...forceful.  After soaking my feet for a few minutes, the massuse wrapped one in a warm blanket, and then began to rub the other one with some cream that I am guessing had something like menthol in it from the way it smelled.  This part was perfectly fine.  Then the massuse began to really go to work on my foot.  It very much reminded me of when I had to go to physical therapy for a badly sprained ankle.  There was a lot of very firm, pressing, squeezing, pulling, pushing, rubbing, and even some smacking!  Afterwards my feet did feel refreshed, but whether this was because the massage helped, or my feet were simply glad it was over, I do not know.
Then I went to pick up my finished suits from Mr. Bobby of Raja's Fashions at Nana Soi 4.  Since I haven't done a journal entry about my visits to Mr. Bobby since the first time I went, I'll tell you all briefly about the process.

The first time I visited, I picked out my fabrics and told Mr. Bobby what style suits I wanted.  Basically, did I want two or three buttons (two), notch or peak lapels (notch), zero, one or two vents (two), and any other details that I wanted added.

After that, I went back a couple days later for my first fitting.  By this time they had completed one shirt and one pair of pants and had a very basic skeleton of one of my jackets (no sleeves, collar, buttons, or lining, basically its just a shell with armholes).  I tried on the shirt and pants, which both fit almost perfectly the first time and then put on the skeleton of the jacket.  Mr. Bobby and his jacket guy, tucked and pulled, and measured the jacket and decided where adjustments would be needed and pinned things into place so that it was fit well and then I was free to go.

The next visit, I tried on my other pairs of pants (which also fit well), another shirt, and the skeleton base of my second jacket.  Also, by this time, the first jacket was further along in the process and now had sleeves and a collar (still no buttons or lining).  This time the focus was on making sure the parts were the correct length  (the sleeves and jacket were a little long), and that I had enough room to move without the suit looking too baggy.

I had a third visit to do a second fitting of the second jacket which basically repeated the process above.

And that brings us to today.  Today, everything was done and all that was left was to try it on and make sure that the final product fit as well as it should.  It did.  So I paid the rest of my bill, and took home my two suits (each with two pairs of pants), and my 10 shirts, and my two ties.

Describing the process really leaves a lot of the experience out.  Mr. Bobby is very gracious host (every time I went I was welcome to as many free beers, soft drinks, waters, teas, etc. as I wanted).  He is also very knowledgeable about his profession.  For example, Miles and I were sitting on the couch enjoying our beers while waiting to get fitted one day (his shop is very popular) and Miles was telling me about his recent trip to China.  Specifically, he was telling me about the great deals on clothing.  At one point he showed me his "Louis Vitton" tie and made the comment that it was really cheap and yet an actual Louis Vitton silk tie.  His exact quote was "One comes off the line and goes to Louis Vitton stores, the next comes off the line and gets sold on the streets of Shanghai."  Later we were talking with Mr. Bobby and one of the first things Mr. Bobby does is correctly identify where Miles bought his pants and shirt (which had come from two different tailors in Bangkok).  Miles, somewhat impressed, but looking to put one over on Mr. Bobby, asks him if he can identify where his tie came from.  Mr. Bobby feels the tie and mater-of-factly responds, "It's Chinese Polyester."  I couldn't help but crack up.  Miles wasn't too broken up, after all $2 for a tie is a great price regardless of what the tie is made up, but it was still very funny.

All in all, I am very happy with my suits and my tailor.
mschtul says:
Hi! We went to Bobby at Raja's in 2005 and everything was great -- trying to find their website, do you happen to have it? We are hoping to order more. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2007
nooker72 says:
I found the fabrics that I chose to be good quality and there is a wide assortment to chose from. If you are used to Bespoke suits from Savile Road, you may be disappointed, if you normally buy off the rack, I think that you will be happy. The prices are around 10,000 Baht for a suit, and about 1000 Baht for a shirt. Be aware however that there are a lot of shops that attempt to deal of Raja's Fashions name by using variations on "Raja's." One even calls itself "The Original Raja's."
Posted on: Aug 13, 2007
wanderingluster says:
hi, was the material quality good? how much per suit if u don't mind me asking?

Posted on: Aug 11, 2007
Bangkok Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Today we ate at a restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms. Despite the name, the place is actually rather nice. It has indoor or garden seating and s… read entire review
photo by: halilee