Sleeper Train to Chiang Mai

Bangkok Travel Blog

Today, after work, John and I left for Chiang Mai. Being poor students, we decided to save money by taking the sleeper train instead of flying. Not only were the tickets for the train more than $100 less than airfare, but since it's a sleeper train, we effectively saved one night of hotel stay from if we had flown in tonight. I have always enjoyed trains, so this was another reason I was happy to be taking the sleeper train.

I met John at Hualamphong station (Bangkok'[s main train station) and we had about an hour until our train left, so we grabbed some dinner at one of the restaurants in the train station, before boarding. I also picked up a few snacks from the 7-11, since I figured they would be more expensive on the train, and then we found our car and took our seats. The train left a little late, but that didn't really matter much to us. Soon we were off and rolling up north to Chiang Mai.

It was night time during the majority of our trip, so there wasn't much to see in terms of scenery. The only ting of note is that we passed a golf course that was completely lit up for night golf. They had huge stadium lights on every hole. The course was full of players at 9pm at night (my kind of people).

Since there wasn't much to do on the train, John and I decided to enjoy a couple beers with the snacks we had brought on board. One of the things I love about trains is that you tend to meet people more than on airplanes. The girl across from us was from Manchester and a fan of Manchester City Football Club which was recently purchased by the former prime minister of Thailand (the one overthrown by the coup). A couple seats down from us I met a family from Holland who were also enjoying some beers.

After 15 glasses of beers (actually it was only 3 bottles split between John and I, but they came with glasses only slightly bigger than shot glasses so we had to refill them numerous times), John and I called it a night and had the train attendant convert our seats into bunks so that we could get some sleep.
Bangkok