Sirocco Skybar

Bangkok Travel Blog

Miles, John, Mike and I at Sirocco
Tonight, our friend Mike from UW was in Bangkok for the night on his way back to the U.S. after spending part of the Summer working at a firm in Hanoi, Vietnam.  Since it was his one night in Bangkok we had to take him out someplace cool, so we took him out to a bar/restaurant called Sirocco which is located on the 63rd floor of the State Tower, near the river.

Sirocco is part of a complex of bars and restaurants called the Dome at the top of the State Tower.  It claims to be the world's highest outdoor restaurant.  As you can see from the photos, they might have a valid claim.

After grabbing some dinner somewhere cheaper than Sirocco (the restaurant costs in the $50 a meal range), we headed up to the bar for a drink or two.
View of the bar at Sirocco overlooking Bangkok
  The drinks weren't cheap ($10 or so), but there was no cover and the place is spectacular enough to be worth it for a drink or two.   The bar is out on the edge of the building 63 floors in the air.   It is definately one of the cooler places I have been to.  You can look out over the city at night, with the various buildings lit up.  It's also right near the river so you can see the lights on boats as they travel up and down the river.  Way out in the distance there was a thunderstorm and you could the see the lightening flashing on the horizon.

They were a little odd about picture taking.  You were allowed to take photos from the bar itself, but not from the steps looking down at the bar (on the way out though I did manage to get a shot looking down at the bar so that you could see how out there it is.  The guards didn't seem to mind too much as I was discreet and didn't use a flash.

After a two drinks, we went somewhere cheaper to finish the night, but Sirocco was definately the highlight.

Miles, John, Mike and I at Sirocco
View of the bar at Sirocco overloo…
View of the bar at Sirocco overlo…
Bangkok