Changes in Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes

Bangkok Travel Blog

After arriving back in Bangkok this morning, I hurried back to my apartment to shower and change before starting my last week of work.  It was a pretty good day at work and one of the attorneys from the office took me out to lunch since it is my last week.  We went to a Japanese restaurant near the office and the food was excellent.  I had some fish fillets grilled in a sweet teriyaki sauce and we split a tray of sushi as an appetizer.

At 6:00pm, John, Miles and I met at the Londoner (see review from July 19th) which has kind of become a Tuesday tradition since they keep giving us coupons worth 50% off food on Mondays or Tuesdays.  Tonight, since it's nearing the end of our stay, Mike and Ging, one of the partners and one of the lawyers respectively, from John's firm joined us.  I was planning on a pretty quite evening with an early bedtime since I was still pretty tired from the weekend trip to Chiang Mai, but it was not to be.

I will now tell the rest of the story with some help from Jimmy Buffett.

I took off for a weekend last month
Just to try and recall the whole year.
All of the faces and all of the places,
wonderin' where they all disappeared.

I had been very busy at work, so the trip to Chiang Mai was awesome.  A great break before my last week.  But it was physically exhausting so I planned on taking it easy tonight before turning in early.  I figured I would be in bed by 10pm.

"I didn't ponder the question too long;
I was hungry and went out for a bite."

In this case, John, Miles and I went out to eat at the Londoner.  Everything was going as planned until a client from John's firm names Henning showed up.   He is a 6'8" Norwegian and lots of fun to talk to.  Somewhere along the way the conversation turned to national liquors, specifically the national liquor of Norway: Akvavit.  Miles and John had tried Akvavit before, but Mike, Ging and I had never tried it.  The consensus among the group who had tried it seemed to be that while it is a much loved drink, it doesn't taste very good.  Mike said it had to be better than Jaegermeister, to which the almost unanimous response was that Jaeger was much better.

"Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum,
and we wound up drinkin' all night."

After a little more argument, Henning decided to solve this once and for all and ordered a round of Jaeger shots and a round of Akvavit shots for everyone.  The Londoner wait and bar staff had never heard of Akvavit however.  I thought this would be the end of it and my night would still end rather early, but Henning was not so easily deterred.  He promptly wrote the name "Akvavit" on a slip of paper, gave it to the waitress with a sizable amount of Thai Baht, and asked her to send someone to find a bottle.  At this point, I have this image of them sending the four fastest Tuk Tuks in all of Bangkok scattering in each direction in search of a bottle of Akvavit.  About 40 minutes later, the waitress returned with a brand new bottle of Akvavit and a round of Jaegermeister shots.

Sometimes the "chum, with a bottle of rum" is actually a Norwegian with a bottle of Akvavit.

"It's those changes in latitudes,
changes in attitudes nothing remains quite the same.
With all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane."

Suffice it to say that my night didn't end early.  In fact, by the end of the night we had finished the entire bottle of Akvavit and I caught a taxi home around 1:30am.  It was however a lot of fun.  Akvavit, for those who haven't tried it is flavored with Caraway, and so tastes like liquid rye bread.  It's not actually that bad, but then I enjoy rye bread.  It is however much worse than Jaeger.   If I had it to do over again, I would definitely do the same thing.  What was supposed to be an early night, turned into one of my best nights out in Bangkok.  I guess that's the "changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes."

Bangkok