A few days in Wroclaw

Wroclaw Travel Blog

Basilica, Wroclaw

A while back I got the opportunity to visit Poland. It was a work trip, but I’ll spare the details of that (slag pile, all you need to know), as its only interesting when compared to what I usually do in a day (ie report writing).

As I was only in Poland for a week and a half, I didn’t pick up much of the language. Other than a few common phrases, the only words I learned were words that sounded similar to English (woda = water, kawa = coffee) or Russian (piwo = ПИВО = beer).

My job was based in a town called Wrocław, which is Poland’s fourth largest city and the capital of Silesia (near the German border). The first thing you need to know about Wrocław is how to pronounce it.

Lightning strikes behind the panaroma, Wroclaw.
It is pronounced more like Vraswaav. They don’t use letters like we use letters. The “ł” isn’t an “l” at all, it’s a “wa”.

The Germans call the city Breslau, as they can’t seem to get over having lost it after WWII.  In fact, as I transferred in through Munich, my destination city was listed as Breslau on the flight board.

The city dates back to the 10th century, but very little of the original city remains as it was destroyed by the Germans et al. The main tourist attractions are a Cathedral and an old Town Square. The Cathedral dates back to 11th Century and has been rebuilt on several occasions. The Town Square dates as far back as the 14th Century, butfor some reason was not destroyed in WWII. There is a Gothic-style Town Hall in the middle of the square, surrounded by very colourful buildings which are now mostly restaurants. Other than that, the town was mostly reconstructed during the Soviet era, so it has a Soviet sameness like every other city they touched.

Due to difficult flight schedules (it was a last minute trip), I was stuck in Poland with a couple days free time (poor me!) As I had exhausted all Wrocław had to offer, I decided to catch a train to Krakow. The Polish train system is quite nice and very punctual, though they do look a bit run down (kind of like old VW vans).

Basilica, Wroclaw
Lightning strikes behind the panar…
Lightning strikes behind the pana…
Thee olde towne halle.