Three months and counting...

High Wycombe Travel Blog

Ed wrote: It's Sunday and I'm slightly hungover. The growing sense of excitment has been building uncomfortably for months now. Like an approaching train on the London Underground, you can feel it before you see it or hear it and it is this impending event which is causing me both elation and discomfort.

Many weeks have been spent reassembling my motorbike, a 1998 Honda aptly named the Africa Twin. The zealous disassembly included painting all of the plastic fairing with white paint to keep the bike cool in the anticipated heat as we head south. Two new panniers adorn the bike either side of the pillion seat, supplied for a price by Metal Mule [Sussex, UK] and will be home to my few clothes and spares needed in the coming months.

Dan is my accomplice on this journey being both the originator of the overland idea and the best resource for technical info and company during the trip. Only weeks earlier we had attempted our first test run to the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Ripley [Derbyshire, UK] where we pitched camp outside a pub and spent three days listening to fellow motorcycle travellers and their accounts of travel to every corner of the globe. The event passed successfully and the weather provided a range of conditions from downpour to glorious sunshine for added authenticity.
High Wycombe