The Trip Begins...

Oakland Travel Blog

Not only does Belize have beautiful islands and beaches, but it has some incredible Mayan sites with lofty temples and pyramids..  it has a mix of Creole, Caribbean, and Latin people and food... it's compact and easy to get around, generally safe, and within a few miles drive of a site I've always wanted to see... TIKAL, in Guatemala.  So what if I visit Guatemala two years in a row?  Did the same in 2004 and 2005 with Brussels, but anyway this time it wouldn't be on a cruise - this would be real.

So I booked my flights to Belize City 3 days before I leave, having no clue what I'm gonna do there... I guess that's part of the fun of a spontaneous vacation!  Unfortunately I had to make a stop in San Diego on the way there for a meeting, and then again on the way back for an interview for a new project!  Did I pick the wrong time for a vacation or what?  Well I wasn't going to let that stop me... I just worked around it, and managed to book flights around the meetings.. all good and ready to go!

I ended up packing all night, and didn't sleep at all... I was a zombie in the morning!  I wasn running so late to the airport, I didn't even have time for my starbucks... how am I going to get through my meeting?  There better be a starbucks in San Diego when I step outta that gate....  anyway I almost missed my flight, but luckily some nice people let me cut in line at the security checkpoint and I made it!

Off to San Diego!