Beautiful Adelaide Hills

Adelaide Travel Blog

Main road, Mt. Barker Rd. Aldgate
I've had a great experience in a small town called Aldgate in a high-elevated area of Adelaide Hills, South Australia. Aldgate is located about 12 miles southeast of the South Australia's gorgeous capital, Adelaide. Adelaide Hills has several charming little towns: Stirling, Aldgate, and Bridgewater. The area is hilly, but naturally decorated with white gum trees, eucalyptus -- native to the area, and sounds of magpies.

Aldgate has a row of local stores just by the main road. If my memory serves me right, there was a hairdesser's, a post office, a couple of antique stores, a deli (where I used to work on the weekends), a privately-owned small convenience store, and toward the back of the row there was a sweets shop that sells wonderful dessert cakes (my favorite), a fish-n-chips store (my other favorite), and a Malaysian restaurant.
An Aldgate corner

Stirling is slightly larger than Aldgate. It has a few office buildings, which I can't really remember what they are, maybe real estate office or something, the ANZ bank, a photo development shop, and a couple of cute coffee lounges. The architecture of Stirling shops are very nice. It has an arcade entrance (not an arcade as in gaming place), but that's what they call it down there. It looks like an indoor garden with a round fountain with seats and tables set surrounding the place. Whenever I was in one of the coffee lounge, I always ordered marshmallow hot chocolate or hot chocolate with cream sprinkled with cocoa. Hmm... it's heavenly :)

There is also Hanhdorf, about 15 mins drive further southeast of Aldgate. It's also known as Germantown, for the history of German immigrants living in the place. It is a beautiful town, with Gemran characteristics. I loved visiting the cheese stores, chocalate shops, and others. Hahndorf holds German festivals every year that attracts both locals and visitors. I loved watching the majestic, strong-legged German horses drawing accessorized farm carriages.

(to be continued)