When In Rome

Rome Travel Blog

italians are like these chinese of europe. aside from their good taste in fashion, italians are like the chinese b/c they're loud when they talk (esp. in restaurants), they have way too many people working in each store (we witnessed two guys mopping the same area in mcdonalds), they're easy when it comes to bargaining (i bargained just for the sake of seeing how low they would go...), and they can't drive worth crap.

but they do have rome....ah, rome. vittorio emanuel is by far the most beautiful monument ever. and the vatican. i think it would have more meaning for me if i were catholic, but even so, it houses some of the most gorgeous artwork and st. peter's basilica is absolutely stunning. i wonder though, if this is what jesus intended? for the church to look so extravagant, for the pope to be worshipped as if he were God, for people to bow down to statues of the virgin Mary? i'm not so sure that's the image of the broken, poor-loving, humble Christ figure that i know of in the Bible...

travelman727 says:
You make great observations! I agree with you about Jesus. I believe He's much more concerned about what's in our hearts than what's in our churches. I feel sure he wants a relationship with you and I more than a religious building - Mark
Posted on: Jul 05, 2006
Eric says:
haha. I like your comparison of Chinese and Italians. It might interest you to know that a lot of locals absolutely HATE the monument to vittorio emmanuel. They call it the "wedding cake" and "giant typewriter" because of it's overly layered look. Only recently has the architectural merit of it been discussed. I was equally blown away when I saw it though.
Posted on: Nov 11, 2005