More Shopping and Walking

Shanghai Travel Blog

Pudong District from the Bund

As I mentioned, I had every good intention to go to the Shanghai Museum. I meant to do that 'today' but didn't. I went shopping again, but for sensible things - I picked up some green tea and jasmine tea to take home, as well as a really nice hardback book of Chinese Home cooking recipes - I really wanted a recipe from jiaozi which are FABULOUS steamed dumplings, with a pork and spring onion/ scallion stuffing. My homestay granny in Jimo made them every week for me: we'd have them hot for dinner, cold for breakfast the next day and fried for dinner that night! I did get the book - I still haven't attempted to make the dumplings in the intervening 3 year period!

I did find a city park that's written about in the Rough Guide, Renmin Park around a 2km walk from the hostel, along Nanjing Lu, at the crossroads of the east and west sides.

Very Patriotic
It was a really nice place to sit and read and try to figure out where I was going next! It's only now I look back at the Rough Guide that I realise I wasn't very far from the Shanghai Museum, which is supposedly a lovely building, but it's apparent my heart really wasn't in finding and going to it!
Renmin Park is built on the site of the former Shanghai Racecourse (the Chinese are avid gamblers), but later functioned as a general sports arena, a holding camp for prisoners during the war, and also a temporary morgue. Now, at the north end, it's Renmin Park, at the south it's Renmin Square, where political rallies are held.

Alongside the Park is one of the city's most famous department stores, The Shanghai Store No.

Nanjing Road again!
1, which is China's largest shop. Apparently a hundred thousand Chinese people flood through it's doors every day, many country folk in the city for the first time. It was certainly busy, but for most westerners, there's not much that'll fit - a UK size 12/ US 8 is about the largest you'll find, owing to the native's diminutive stature. Big shoes are hard to come by - I had to buy a pair of men's flip-flops when one of my pairs fell apart!

Today was just a nice day wandering around, and taking in the atmosphere of the city, which is completely different from the feeling in Beijing, which almost feels historical - Shanghai was too modern for me, and as most of the guide books say, there really is only a short list of things to do in Shanghai, and the museum tops it, so maybe I did miss out!

My day was much the same as the previous one, and I had dinner at a little local place near the hostel, then crashed out again, after checking in a load of laundry to collect the next day.

AndiPerullo says:
You and I could be best buddies...chocolate and shopping! ;)
Posted on: Oct 19, 2007