Hit the Road Jack...

Glasgow Travel Blog

 › entry 2 of 28 › view all entries

Well, this way D-Day...departure day.

It was all supposed to go so smoothly...but I slept in, the rest of the packing had to be done in a rush, Mum was irate because she had to go to M&S to pick up some essentials for me and halfway to the airport I realised I hadn't bought the assortment of Scottish knick-knacks our boss in China suggested we took with us to give as prizes to the kids we were teaching and our home stay family in Jimo. Whoops...

After racking our brains and realising we couldn't detour in the centre of Glasgow we remembered there was a Scottish Shop at the airport, so that solved one problem! We met my Dad at Glasgow Airport, got checked in and hit the shops...and one McPherson clan tartan scarf, a teddy with a tartan bowtie, a number of whisky miniatures, erasers/ rubbers with the soltaire on them and some tablet, fudge and rock, I bade a somewhat emotional farewell to my parental units. I was surprised how close to upset I was...I've travelled abroad for a long time before, but I suppose this was my first trip totally on my own, perhaps the thought of staying with a local family had hit me, the thought of teaching was weighing heavy on my shoulders (it's something I've never wanted to do...mama put me off that career path) and I was also shattered from too many parties in GradWeek.
But making what seemed the long walk up the ramp to departures I was nearly in tears. After a final wave over the shoulder I was through passport control and security, into Duty Free (ah,
Mecca) and waiting from my Emirates flight to Dubai.

I'd been on the same flight with the 'rents just a month before when we went to the Maldives and Dubai for a 'well done on getting your degree' holiday, but this time I was on my lonesome, most certainly not flying business class (the perks of travelling with your mum and dad - and the company we were going to be working for were only giving us a $750US flight allowance each, and we only got half of that when we arrived, and half when we finished the course) and somewhat apprehensive about what I was going to.

Anyway, flight left on time, and after seven and a half hours, two movies and an OK in-flight meal later, I arrived in Dubai Airport - one of my favourite cities in the world - just before midnight.

Unfortunately, I wasn't stopping, only a layover for three hours before the Emirates flight to Shanghai. Even so, just the buzz of everything going on in the airport put a spring in my step, as did the expansive Duty Free area, where I stocked up on more perfume, Dairy Milk miniatures (we'd been warned Chinese chocolate was not up to UK standards!), Kinder treats and a half bottle of gin. I eventually headed for the furthest away gate in the airport and waited for my flight to be called.

scubagirl76 says:
the day of a trip is always a mad house around here too! AND ALWAYS half way down the road somewhere I remember something forgotten, lol!
Posted on: Feb 06, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
You have been ALL over the world, I love it!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2007
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: spocklogic