Mexican Hat and Monument Valley

Mexican Hat Travel Blog

After my near 500 mile journey accross the deserts of New Mexico and Arizona I had finally arrived in Mexican Hat, Utah. Before I got to my hotel I spent some time sight seeing around the area, it was late and I wanted to spend a full day in Monument Valley.

I had booked a room at the Mexican Hat Lodge and Swinging Steak. Upon arrival I was greeted by a rather surly Navajo woman who was more interested in looking after her child than arranging my check in. The initial room I was given was tiny, dark and did not even contain a fridge. So after complaining I was upgraded to a larger room. I must admit the best thing about the room was the bathroom. The air con was noisy so it was a case of leaving it on all day and sleeping in a cool room at night after turning it off.

There are few facilities in Mexican Hat, an RV park with a great beer selection inside the small store. Another restaurant further down the hill and a gas station opposite the hotel.

The scenery however was beautiful and you can ac tually see Mexican Hat Rock from the hotel. Nestled along the banks of the San Juan River and approximately 22 miles from Monument Valley.

The scenery does not disappoint and at night the only sound you can hear are the crickets and the occasional vehicle.

I decide not to eat at the hotel and got some food and drink from the gas station and some beer from the RV shop and decided to have an evening in my room, supping beer with the occasional walk outside to soak up the sun and the views. When I switched on the TV the first thing that came on was a John Wayne movie, what more could I ask for, here I was in JW country and I get to watch one of The Dukes movies the evening before I was going to where some of the best westerns were made.

Sitting outside by the banks of the river later in the evening, drinking a cold beer and watching the sun go down was a fitting end to yet another perfect day.

Mexican Hat