Voyagé à Giverny 1

Paris Travel Blog

Fauchon
This was a really crazy afternoon.... So, ever since I was a little girl and I had this book called Linnea in Monet’s Garden. After reading this book and seeing all these paintings of Monet’s gardens, I’d really wanted to go there. Living independently in England, I thought this would be a great opportunity to make some time to finally go. So, I told Mary that whether or not we went while we were in France together, I was going to find away to go before I came back from my year abroad in England. It turns out that Giverny, which is where Monet’s old house is, is only about an hour train ride from Paris, so I was able to convince her to go with me on the excursion because of this, and whether or not she will admit it, it was an absolutely lovely day.
Ladurée

We had our pain au chocolat again for “breakfast” and got out to the train station early to get tickets out to Giverny. We discussed and purchased the train tickets completely in French (yay text book chapter on trains). The next train out didn’t leave for a few hours, unfortunately. I was really bummed about this, as we had gotten up early in order to get out there as quickly as possible, and then we had to wait. Lame. This turned out to be a good thing, though, because we made awesome use of our time.

The train station, Gare de St. Lazare, is right by Place de la Madeleine and Mary, again, since she had lived in Paris for a few months, knew about some cool food places around here. First we went to Fauchon, which is apparently a very famous, very fancy chocolatier, and we bought some chocolate (obviously). Everything in there smelled really incredible. They had a very large selection of teas as well. Because it was the day before Easter, there were a bunch of people buying loads of Easter chocolates, assumedly for their families. Mary knew that there was another cool place around here that had macaroons, which sounded gross to me. When I think of macaroons, I think of the little coconut covered squishy things they have in plastic containers in America. After searching up and down every street stemming from Place de la Madeleine, we finally found the famous Ladurée. I actually read about Ladurée initially on Travbuddy. Funny. Anyway, these macaroons were not at all like the ones I knew from the U.S. They looked like little sandwiches in different colors. Apparently “FRENCH macaroons” are different. Oh man, just thinking about what they looked like makes my mouth water. Not to mention that the inside of this place is gorgeous, and all very old looking, since it has been around since 1862. We got embarrassed ordering these because we felt too poor to be in such a nice place, and the guy helping us was speaking in very mumbly French. Also, everyone else was getting huge boxes, and we only wanted three little ones, and I think he was being judgmental.... WHATEVER, anyway, Ladurée macaroons are like little pieces on heaven in your mouth. Not kidding. So good. The vanilla ones are definitely the best, but the pistachio, which are green, are also very good. Mary and I got a few and shared them, and I almost made us go back inside and get more. Very delicious and very much worth however much it was we paid for them. After Ladurée, I looked into buying a cheap coat from a street vendor, but I did not. Even though we ate a bunch of macaroons, Mary and I were starving since we hadn’t eaten real food yet. We found a little place down a side street where we could get baguette sandwiches to take with us on the train. They were expensive, but they were very tasty.

Paris