Bicycle Race

Nyaung Shwe Travel Blog

Starting cycling with Tobi & Dave

I woke up to the sound of heavy rain on that day.  Dave was saying that he and Tobi would be going on cycling with me if the weather is OK, and if it's rain, I didn't want to go on cycling to somewhere far either. Wondering what to do on that day, I went to the breakfast place and saw a Chinese girl whom I met in Mandalay.
She was traveling with other 3 French guys she met in Mandalay and those guys recognized me as well!

They were saying that they were doing some boat trip on that day.

After giving an info of fast internet in Nyaung Shwe to one of those 3 guys, I went to the market to buy some fruits even it was raining heavily.

Fishing local people
In front of the market I got some beautiful mangos and got back to the GH, and saw Philip checking out of the GH. It was great that I could see him off. We confirmed our appointment to stay in the same GH to see the sunset at Shwedagon in Yangon together again.

And suddenly, a miracle happened. The thick clouds casted away and the weather turned good. And it was almost the time of the meetup with guys so I went to their GH to see if they were joining me.

They were ready for the cycling. We rent 3 bicycles at the next door of their GH and went for an adventure!
We wanted to get to the lake by bicycle and decided to go west. It was so much fun, we were trying to compete each other when we were riding, but Tobi was always the fastest because he was such a "childish" guy (according to himself and John from the trekking group) and Dave and myself made many stops for the pictures! Hahahaha.

After some long slope to go up, we felt a bit tired and thirsty and decided to stop at a local store that sells snacks and drinks.
The owner of the shop was really nice, we bought the first pack of cookies, he gave us some hot green tea and taught us how to say it in Burmese. The local cookies tasted great and we had lots because we remembered that we hadn't had lunch yet. We 3 were sitting together and taught each other new burmese words that we learnt, and talked about our hometown etc. When we checked the bills of those snacks and cookies, the owner of the shop tried to charge less than we bought, and we strictly paid what we took and he gave me a bag of snack as a souvenior. We said that we would say hi to him again on our way back and continued cycling.

It was really a great day for this adventure, the sky was blue but it was a bit hot.

Tobi & I

We were sweating lots and talking if we wanted to have a hotspring on our way back to town.
In front of the hotspring, we saw 2 Austrian ladies and they talked to Tobi and Dave in German. It was funny but I understood 20% of what they were talking! Tobi was so surprised when I caught some of their words and repeated it! Hahahahaha.

After saying goodbye to them, we continued cycling. We almost came to the end of the road but we couldn't come near to the lake. So we entered some village to find something lake-ish. There was a pier but it was not a broad lake and local guys were trying to sell us the boat trips, and we weren't really interested in boats so we went to some quiet waterfront place and watching local people watching for a while.

We took some pictures of cool trails on the water which leads to everyone's house, and took some pics there, then decided to head back to Nyaung Shwe.

Dave on the trail
On the way back was mostly slopes that goes down, and it was like a rollercoaster! I'm basically a slow rider and I was a bit scared of the speed and bumpy ride of the bicycle! I screamed a lot and made them surprised a lot too! Hahaha.

And we got to the hotspring place again, Dave wasn't interested, he experienced good one in Japan and kept on saying that there must be no better spas than that we have in Japan, and Tobi looked undecided so we asked the staff to let us have a look.
The bathroom they showed us were just a tiny bathroom with a hottub and toilet. There was no windows to see the view of the lake, and the hot tub looked a bit too small for just for friends, and we were disappointed and decided to move on. Then we decided to go to the small cafeteria close to the hotspring place to have a rest.

We came across with Mariangela and Fredelico on their way to hotspring.

Then we saw Mariangela and Fredelico cycling! We waved them and they stopped at the cafe we were sitting, and had some drinks together. They were also heading for the hotspring since their muscles were soaring.
We said good luck and recommended them to take a look at the bathroom before they pay, then headed back home.

At the small shop we stopped at, there were lots of ppl and it seemed to be very busy so we didn't stop there.
After just 20mins of bicycle ride, we came back to Nyaung Shwe. So we made an appointment for the dinner later and went back to our own guesthouses.

At the reception of the GH, I met a guy from France, he was on his trekking trip around in Asia and we enjoyed talking for a bit about Sichuan province, where I took my 1 month language course when I was 22.

After then we went to catch the sunset at ricefield and took a walk together.

The weather wasn't super when we went out, but we could still see the beautiful sunset.
It seemed that he liked the scenery that I showed him a lot. We took some pics and headed back to the GH before it got too dark.
He asked me out for a puppet show for that evening, but I had an appointment with those 2 guys, so I offered him to come together. So we made an appointment at the lobby and went back to GH.

At the GH, I came across with the Japanese girl I met in Kalaw! We were surprised because we didn't say anything about where we were going to stay, but it was really great that I could see her again. She had just finished the 3days trekking from Kalaw and arrived at Nyaung Shwe on the very day.

Flood on our way back home
We exchanged our contacts and chatted until the time of my dinner appointment.

For the dinner, those 2 guys wanted some western food (how lame! hahaha) and we went for a pizza restaurant.
It was a bit weird, the staff of the restraurant forced the guests to see the oven that they were using, so we made Tobi to take his camera and take pics of the oven! Hahahahaha.

On the way to the restaurant, we saw Mariangela and Fredelico having local BBQ fish. I wanted to join them after the dinner at the touristic pizza place but it started rain heavily and we had to give up with joining them.

On the way back to GH, the ground was totally flooded. Everyone bugged each other that we needed swimming suits to swim back home or needed to take a boat trip home!

Dave on the trail
We came across with Mariangela and…
We came across with Mariangela an…
Flood on our way back home
This trail leads to everyones hou…
This trail leads to everyone's ho…
Noodles :)
Noodles :)
Sleeping dog
Sleeping dog
Kids at local store
Kids at local store
Heres sleeping dog again!
Here's sleeping dog again!
Off to see the sunset
Off to see the sunset
Sunset view with Monastry
Sunset view with Monastry
Papercraft luminarie at pizza rest…
Papercraft luminarie at pizza res…
Nyaung Shwe Hostels review
Family run, helpful staff and great breakfast
I stayed at this guesthouse for 2 nights, and totally loved it! I wanted to stay more. It was family run guesthouse and owner family was full of ho… read entire review
Nyaung Shwe