Zhouzhuang, a beautiful city in which I could have spent more time

Zhouzhuang Travel Blog

5/28/2006

2:45 PM

Today has been very enjoyable. We took another day trip. This time to Zhouzhuang. This is known as the water city. It is kind of like the Venice of China. It was about 2 hours from Shanghai. The first things we did when we got there was tour one of the old homes. Then we toured another one. I could have been done with just the one, but it was not too bad. After that we went down the waterway on the Chinese version of the gondola. It was so nice on the river. The wind was blowing and people on the banks would smile and take pictures of us. I got pictures of them too. After the rides we went to lunch. The main dish was “Pig Thigh.” It was so good. It was the whole thigh, the bone and whatever else is in the thigh. Then there was some kind of really thick sauce. It was so good. Tender and juicy and it could be pulled right off the bone with the chopsticks. After lunch we just went shopping. We had a little over and hour to walk around and relax. Today has just been all around pleasant. I did not feel rushed or pushed to do things I did not want to do. It was a relaxing day and I don’t feel nearly as tired as I usually do.

Zhouzhuang