Week 44: The Hampyeong Butterfly Festival

Hamp'yong Travel Blog

Insect Invasion.

One of my students and her family invited me and Justin to go to the Hampyeong Butterfly Festival and International Insect Expo.  I agreed to go but was a little apprehensive prior to going after I spent some time thinking about our other day trips with some of our other Korean acquaintances.  The general feeling on a Korean family outing is to rush around seeing as much as you can in as little time as possible because free time here is so limited.

Thankfully, our experiences with Da Yoon's family was quite the opposite.  They picked us up at our apartment, we watched "Mulan" on their dvd player in their car and they treated us to a great shabu- shabu lunch once we arrived in Hampyeong.  For the next couple hours we strolled around the expo grounds viewing the sweet insect exhibits and random other side exhibits (such as the golden bat house where there were only plastic bats, no real ones were to be found.

Wriggling, immature beetles.
The highlight was a 162kg bat statue made out of gold. It was a bit overrated. And by bit I mean REALLY).

The butterfly house was packed with expo visitors consisting mostly of families, middle school student groups and long lines of boy scouts.  Upon walking in we were hit by the warm, humid atmosphere and encountered dozens of cabbage butterflies fluttering around.  In certain closed off showcases were the exotic butterflies imported from Malaysia, the Philippines, and various other countries in Southeast Asia.  One of the best parts of the day was seeing the showcases with 8 inch long insects that look like they were straight of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."  Normally I'm not freaked out by insects.  I took a class in Entomology in college and loved it. However, some of these insects were big enough to eat small children and they gave me the willies!

Wriggling, immature beetles.
Pets For Sale: Huge Beetles that a…
Pets For Sale: Huge Beetles that …
Hamp'yong