Manly Pursuits

Sydney Travel Blog

Manly Beach
On Sunday we decided to take the ferry to Manly. I'd wondered what distinguished a Manly ferry from a more Effeminate one, but that puzzlement took a back seat to my concern over whether or not this would be a bumpy ride. I'm prone to seasickness, and the ferry to Robben Island, back in Cape Town, had me wishing I'd never been born. Better safe than sorry, I swallowed some Nitil - and realised afterward it really wasn't necessary. The trip was smooth and uneventful, the scenery slipping calmly by until the ferry nudged itself into the wharf.

We followed the tide of people spilling off the ferry down towards the beach, through a pedestrian mall lined designed to tempt money from unsuspecting pockets. Looking for a bird book to check up on some local birdlife, we landed up buying Armistead Maupin books instead.

We bought some coffee and strolled along Manly beach, and along the cliff path to where dives and weddings happen, though not necessarily together, and noticed the little castings of local sealife on the rocks. Fascinated by the Weedy Seadragon, we made a note to look that up in the Aquarium.

It was a fairly chilly day, but there were surfers in the water, children on scooters whizzing by, and typical Sunday activities all around. We boarded a ferry to return to Circular Quay, and experienced the most glorious sunset as night tiptoed into Sydney Harbour.

elnaerasmus says:
You definitely need to write travel books or any kind of book! You sure do have a way with words
Posted on: Sep 17, 2007
Looking out from Manly
Looking out from Manly
Sunset, approaching Sydney Harbour
Sunset, approaching Sydney Harbour
Sunset, Sydney skyline from Harbour
Fort Denison, Sydney Harbour, at s…
Fort Denison, Sydney Harbour, at …
Sunset, Sydney Haarbour