Life's a Beach

Sydney Travel Blog

Bondi Beach
The weather was good when we woke - this being winter, after all; and having come from dismal Cape Town, and been stalled by the icy horror of Jozi, some sunshine was very welcome. Even if the wind was a little brisk, and the temperature a little chilly. Still, we decided that it was a good day to head off to Bondi, to stroll along to Coogee.

A quick stroll to the bus stop had us on our way in no time, chuckling at the Oz humour embodied in shop names along the way. Moments later we were in Bondi, watching the hardy surfers braving the water. The beach was pretty - rather like Camps Bay, in Cape Town - but it being winter, I felt no compulsion to rip off my clothes and soak up the sun. Instead we headed off along the walkway towards Tamarama, passing some interesting rock erosions along the path, and some cheeky local birdlife.

Coffee at Tamarama was served by a guy straight out of a Scooby Doo cartoon strip - 1970s, anyone? - and the chilly breeze encouraged me to make the acquaintance of the first of several public ablution facilities I'd encounter on my trip. In Cape Town, these tend to be fairly basic on the beach - and often in rather rundown condition, infrequently serviced and pretty sketchy. In Oz, generally, they're well maintained, neat, and safe. I tossed a frisbee for a hopeful dog, finished my cappuccino, and off we went towards Coogee.

Mynah, en route to Tamarama