Theologos and Volunteers for Peace

Theologos Travel Blog

Today, I headed off to Theologos, a resort town in central Greece that a lot Athenians travel to. I'm volunteering through Volunteers for Peace on an archaeological site.

I met all the people I'll be working with, the professor and his wife (also a professor), our camp director, the people working on the archaeological site this summer, and eight VFPs. The VFPs are from all over the world: 3 Americans, 1 from Poland, Canada, Kora, Finland, and France.

We're staying in tents on the Coleman/Purdy property in the pistaccio tree grove. Our job is getting the archaeological site of Halai ready for digging/tourism. It's one of the only visitable dig sites in the East Lokris region. Our work included A LOT of weeding, wheelbarrowing earth, and digging a trench. It was sweet. The work was long; we would work 7 hours a day from 6:30am to 1:30pm Monday through Friday and half a day on Saturday. Even though it was hard work, we did have a chance to do a tiny bit of archaeological work at the end, and WE WERE IN GREECE! Who could ask for more?

It's a little odd, because everyone in Theologos and Vivos knows us as the non-Greek people. We're mini-celebrities. It's a two-mile walk over a hill from the Coleman/Purdy house to the city and the dig site, but we often get a ride in the mornings to work. This place is very enchanting. At night, you can see all of the stars. I mean all of them!

Odds and ends:
Travel: a van.
Lodging: Hotel Nausika, and then the tents we set up in the pistaccio grove
Food: making our own at the camp site!

photo by: tigerkt