Out of the cold, into a real hotel.

Innsbruck Travel Blog

Last night was really cold. I was wearing four layers and in my sleeping bag... shivering, but I survived. Not hiking today, too much snow on the ground, and I don't have the equipment to hike.

Instead, I left the campsite and headed on down to the city. Innsbruck is a really charming city, with tons of winding alleys to explore. Plus, there's a 360 degree view of the mountains from nearly any place in the city... wow. Svaroski had a cool museum here too in the basement of the store.

Instead of hiking, I took the bus to the Bergisel, the Olympic ski jump, and got to feel what it's like to be on a mountain and look down onto the city. Got there right before they were closing, but still got to see what a ski jumper sees before the big jump... scary, but awesome!

Later in the night, there was a pole vault/long jump competition in the city center, called the Golden Roof Challenge. There was an American competing named Paul. He told me that they have all sorts of little and big meets in Europe, and he was in Amsterdam for the summer to compete with a Dutch teammate of his. Paul told me that he's kind of been on tour around Europe for the summer, doing various meets, competing internationally, and getting paid for it! I've never seen a pole vault and a long jump pit just landed in the middle of a city street. It was quite a sight to see.

Now, I'm staying at the Hotel Golden Krone, seems to be the choice of Italian travelers as of right now, but they had an open room just for me! This makes me so happy I'm carrying around Lonely Planet's Europe on a Shoestring. The staff also directed me to where I could go get a nice lunch. It was nice to have a single room with a bathroom after hostel dorms. I think I would stay here again even when I'm not strapped for cash.

Today rocked! and I got to go see an international track and field event with world-class jumpers... I love track and field events! I wish my life was a track and field event.

Odds and ends:
Travel around: city bus, tourist bus, two legs
Hotel: Golden Krone -- smack dab in the city center, clean rooms, helpful staff, nice views, and a bathroom all to myself!
Food: fish sandwich at a random walk-in/walk-out place in the city center... nearly the same for dinner, 'cept it was ham
Innsbruck