Can't stop smiling!

Venice Travel Blog

Staying at Albergo Antico Capon was alright. "Antico" is the right word for it. It's kind of dusty. It reminds me of an apartment or something. I don't think they changed a thing when they acquired this place. Not so clean rooms, but I didn't mind too much, I had a 6-bed room to myself for two nights! It's in the Campo Santa Margherita, an great square away from the tourist crowds, plus the fruit and veggie sellers in the morning are great!

Still, Venice itself is captivating enough to overcome most of the touristy problem things. The water and the cathedrals are quite the sight and absolutely worth the inconvenience of not-so-kind strangers, hordes of tourists, and expensive meals.

As for the time of the year, it's been a little rainy as of late and has scared away the bulk of the tourists from Venice streets = yay! It's completely walkable in most tourists spots and I only waited in line for a few minutes for the Basilica di San Marco. Not bad at all. The shops are relatively empty, and there's always a seat on the vaporetto (the water bus). Good time to come.

San Marco was quite the sight. Gold everywhere, very elaborate mosaics, and all th treasure you could imagine. Yes, quite the sight indeed. I'm so glad I checked it out. I almost didn't, but the line wasn't long at all. The basilica has quite the history, and it was fun to hear all the stories about different churches throughout the city.

I meandered a bit through some of the streets and went on a ride on the water bus. I took the long trip and just stayed on until we made a round trip on two of the lines. It was a great way to see the city if you're looking to save money.

I also made it out to Murano, the island where Venice makes all it's glass. Everything was quite impressive. I would like to see a glass blowing demonstration, but I came too late for that. boo.

Even with the rain, the weather is still extremely nice for most of the day, and it's so much better than the hail in Germany. I'm still wearing my jacket everywhere, but I'm not layering clothing as much, so big improvement.

Tomorrow's plans are still up-in-the-air. Maybe I'll take an excursion to Padua or just do some walking in the city again. I haven't quite decided. I still haven't seen most of Venice, so the city walking is winning right now, but Padua sounds so intriguing. So does Vincenza. Or Verona. haha, I have some deciding to do.

In the end, my Spanish training only comes slightly handy when I'm trying to read something. At least it's helping a little.

Odds and ends:
Travel to: train... yay!
Travel around: foot and water bus (vaporetto)
Hostel: Albergo Antico Capon -- more on this tomorrow
Food: pizza!! and gelato...
Venice