Yankee Day

New York Travel Blog

My brother at Yankee Stadium
Today was Yankees day.  We left the hotel in the late morning and took the subway north to the Bronx.  A city of white and navy lay before us as we walked the shops selling Yankee gear.  I ended up buying a Yankee poncho, much to my dismay, but I didn't want to get soakedas the sky got more and more cloudy.  My brother was searching for a jersey to buy, but he didn't find anything that he wanted for the right price.  So, we headed into the stadium.  By this point, it was already lightly raining, and the tarp was on the field.  Many of the famous Yankee old timers were in attendance to face off in a scrimmage game, but that was quickly cancelled due to weather.  Bummer.  The rain held off for a bit and the current Yankee players took the field, warmed up, and the game started.  Unfortunately, the game did not finish...the rain come down hard not long after the start.  Also unfortunately, I was with a die-hard Yankee fan, meaning we would sit there until the game was completed or cancelled.  The afternoon came and went, and the rain did the same - however, the rain (unlike the afternoon) decided to stay and we were washed away with the rest of the crowd - the game was cancelled.  Fortunately, they decided to give us seats to the game on the next night, and I knew that we wouldn't be missing that.
shirlan says: