The trip to New York

New York Travel Blog

Our hotel

A quick flight from O'Hare International Airport landed us at our desination, New York City.  We had roughly a week to spend seeing as many of the sites as we could.  Since I was not traveling alone this time, I had to be generous and let my travel companions - my mom and my brother - see and do what they wanted to.  This meant spending an evening at Yankee Stadium and doing some crazy bus tour of the city.  I had mixed emotions of the trip, I like traveling alone or at least being able to plan the entire thing.  I knew though that there was no way that they could make it without me.

Sure enough, immediately after getting off the plane, panic set in.  I remember instanly second guessing this whole thing as I heard my mother trying to figure out what to do.

Broadway
  I quietly walked them to the bus pickup point and before we knew it we were off to Manhattan Island.

The bus and then a quick subway ride brought us right to the front door of our hotel for the next few days.  After we had checked in, it was tough motivating anyone else to go walk around the city.  It was already late in the afternoon, so I convinced the group to go get something to eat.  After a little bit of walking near the hotel, the decision was made to was at Uno's, which is a Chicago based pizza chain.  I got outvoted on that one.   Still, the food was pretty good.

We then headed into Central Park and walked around a bit.  As I am sure some of you know, they do free plays in the theatre, and although you usually need to wait out in front for hours to get a ticket, we managed to get some just a few minutes before the show started.  I like free plays.  It happened to be MacBeth, which is one I knew pretty well but was still neat to see.  The actors (aspiring actors from the local college) did a great job, even though the weather did not cooperate too well.  There were bouts of rain, but the show must go on!  Bravo!

The play took us well into the evening and then I took us back to the hotel.  My family needed that first day to adjust, from that point on they were avid travelers just as I am!

My family and I eating dinner
My family and I eating dinner
Looking at Central Park
Looking at Central Park
New York Hotels & Accommodations review
On The Ave Hotel
This hotel is located on the southwest side of Manhattan, right on Broadway and, being close to the subway, allows easy access to all of New York City… read entire review
New York