Whale Watching and Sea Sickness!

Reykjavik Travel Blog

OK, whale watching to most people would seem like a great activity to most people and to me too.  There is just one snag though, I definitely do not have sea legs and get just a little bit sea sick.  Somehow, I have the feeling that this does not bode well, after all whales don't really do land.  Ok, so here at this point I'm thinking, don't overdo breakfast.  So, being sensible for once I have a modest breakfast that would not possibly come back to haunt me should the worst happen.

So we arrive and because Iceland is not known for its warm sunny weather, I put on this suit thing to keep me warm while we're out there.  Not something that I shall be buying soon, I looked like I was off to go on a polar expedition and somehow I cannot see the one piece number being in the Winter Collection of Jasper Conran!

When we got out into the ocean it as briliant we were really lucky.  We saw puffins, whitebeaked dolphins with two little ones plus Mink whales.  Though the one thing that got me was the funny smell of whale breath.  Its a bit hard to decribe but definitely not a smell that I would recommend.

I really liked the puffins, they were so cute.  And a lot smaller than i thought that they would be.  They're about the same size as a Barn Owl.

Now, about the whole sea sickness thing; well I started off ok on the boat and we had been out there just over an hour and I felt fine.  There's me thinking yay! I might actually be ok, didn't have anything too sinister at breakfast and all will be right with the world.  Well, spoke too soon really.  It hit me and I was slowly turning a lovely shade of green - and I'm talking Kermit the Frog green.  So, unlike the rest of the group I'm there not focussing on the whales, but real concentration not to further pollute the oceans with my breakfast and potentially last night's dinner.  So, here I am in the middle of the ocean, wearing a rather fetching suit that made me feel like I was in Quarantine, sitting on the deck hoping that this will all be over soon, or for the love of god I actually do vomit and then maybe I will be ok.  For the benefit of everyone else I didn't vomit, though I really must have looked like I had the mother of all hangovers after being on a three week bender. Definitely not one of my finest moments!

After returning to land and realising that the Navy is not a career option, we went to Smariland.  Its the largest shopping mall in Iceland, but I swear that the Glades in Bromley at home is bigger.  It seemed really weird when we were there because it was so quiet.  It felt like you were there fist thing on a Sunday morning and all the shops had not yet opened.  Plus there were hardly any kids there causing trouble.  It was nice but it was generally a slightly bizarre experience just due to that it was so quiet.  The funniest thing though was that we travelled there by bus.  We thought that we had moved into the suburbs of Reykjavik, no it was a completely new town.  We had left Reykjavik completely!

The one problem that I'm now having is that the lack of night time is getting to me.  Beginning to fall asleep at the oddest times.  I know that its whatever time at night but when I look outside my brain is telling me that it looks like late afternoon.  I haven't got a clue how I would cope in the Winter when there is about only 2 hours of daytime.

magb says:
Airline eye masks are fantastic for creating simulated night time. Seems like every traveller needs one in Iceland.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2007
krysleigh says:
I'm going to Iceland, so I appreciate the advice!
Posted on: Sep 12, 2007