Berlin Tegel Layover

Berlin Travel Blog

Leaving Germany meant no longer traveling by train between countries; instead I would have three short flights on discount carriers before returning back to the other side of the pond later in the month.  I flew Air Berlin from Cologne to Berlin, and then Berlin to Copenhagen.  lame, having two short flights, but that was the best time that ensured I would make the conference welcome reception (free booze at city hall -- can't miss that).

Tegel is quite possibly the most ghetto airport ever.  Even more lame than Harrisburg's old B terminal (the "tin shack" terminal).  Other friends have told me fabulous things about Tegel, but they must have been in the other two terminals.  Terminal C, on the other hand, is, I am convinced, just an airplane hangar that has been converted as basically as possible into a terminal so that the cheap carriers could send more flights out of Berlin.  Yes, Tegel is one of the airports famous for all the military planes that landed with supplies during the Berlin Blockade and Airlift of 1948-49 and took off just a few minutes later....  so perhaps they didn't even have to hang out in the hangar for as long as I did.  But after landing and taking a bus all of 20 seconds from the plane to the "terminal" we were right at the baggage claim.  luckily my bag was checked through to Copenhagen, but apparently that's not always the case.  So even though I didn't pick up any luggage, I still had to leave like someone who is at their final destination, and then go through security again.  how annoying!  and I also think I had the worst baguette, too, while waiting in the "terminal".

I seriously don't know how the cheap airlines managed to convince the German authorities that a hangar could be turned into a terminal at a major airport.  But at least I did end up at my destination, with my luggage, so I guess in the end I shouldn't complain too much.  But really, it was totally ghetto (though with wireless).
jteddyb says:
Was Tegel really the only bit of Berlin you got to see? Damn, did you miss out....
Posted on: Aug 24, 2007