Ajaccio Travel Blog

Well, nothing particular to report from Ajaccio. I made a very short trip to Moriani, just south of Bastia for one night to see a friend. So got the train to Bastia, which really is incredible. The journey is worth it just for the views, even if it is 40€ return and the train is teeny tiny! It stops off at the most bizarre places, literally in the middle of nowhere and I did wonder why people were getting off but I think the majority of them were just hikers! They're putting a new train next year which enables you to get to Bastia from Ajaccio in under 3 hours (it currently takes nearly 4 hours) and I think they're also putting in more services (there are only 4 at the moment)

So I had a very quick look around the centre of Bastia (although to be honest, I've been there before), had a few coffees at Place St Nicholas, then got on my train again!

Actually, on my way to Moriani, I had a coffee, and then got on my bus to Moriani which took 45 minutes, cost me 6.40€ (!!) Didn't manage to do much as I was just catching up with my friend, but we made a quick trip to the waterfall nearby (about a 45 minute walk) which, when I was working there three years ago was pretty much unknown and therefore completely quiet. However, when I went, in my complete hungover state, hoping for a refreshing plunge in the freezing waters, there was a group of about 40 French school kids, a Norwegian couple and a German family! So I sat there in the shade and took pictures of the waterfall, then we headed back off again! Considering a trip to the Iles des Sanguinaires soon...think I should go before I leave seeing as its not really that far from me! Also going to St Florent for the Porto Latino festival on the 3rd. Very excited!!
photo by: eglp