Our First Day

Dublin Travel Blog

Today we arrived in Dublin after a long delay in Newark Int Airport.  We were touring as part of a group, so everyone had to be accounted for today.  We traveled with my friend's mother, so we would have done the trip differently if we traveled alone..  but the tour was a great way to have someone else do the work for us.  Our places to stay, our transportation and attraction sites were all planned and booked for us, but we also had a little bit of free time.  The group was quite an older crowd, so I would recommend contiki.com tours if you want a younger crowd but want to keep the structure.

We slept off some jet lag in our hotel called the Mespil, which is on the south side. It is by the canal and a good walk from downtown, but it is a nice place.  We arrived at about 10:15, and after about a four hr nap we headed downtown to explore.  We got a bite to eat at a pub called Folly's.  Writing this three years later I'm having trouble remembering... but I do remember that it wasn't incredibly busy, the menu was small, but the beer was good!  We walked around town for while but couldn't do much, because most stores close early on a Sunday.  We explored a couple of the popular pubs downtown and got a drink at the Auld Dubliner, which had a bit of a younger crowd.  We even checked out The Temple Bar and a place called Redz, which had a dance floor.  The crowd was thin, so we headed back for a good night of sleep

mswim says:
I did a Contiki tour this March and I agree. It's a fantastic way to travel, however most of the tours spend only a day in each place and you're constantly on the go. I did an "Independent Getaway Tour" of London and Paris. I had three days in each city and we had loads of free time. Our guide basically got us to our hotel and turned us on our merry way. He did give us a bus tour of each city and was there with loads of advice and suggestions. I think I prefer the Independent Getaways to the typical Contiki.
Posted on: Sep 21, 2007