Entry into Canada

Vancouver Travel Blog

The Vancouver harbour

One of the best things I'm cashing in on my move to Seattle has been that it's so close to the border. I didn't do much during the cold season (due to laziness, and due to the fact that it gets so dark so damn early), but now that Spring's midway and summer's round the corner, this is the time the Pacific Northwest starts to shine!

Anyway this was my Vancouver debut. I left Seattle quite late in the day and ended up in the border by 6pm. The drive was amazing. The last time I drove up to Canada I was in a hurry (as I had to catch a ferry) and couldn't really take it all in. Canada seem so "small" compared to the US. In a space of a few miles, it's amazing how suddenly the roads narrow. The funniest part is reaching downtown Vancouver. It's not like US where you have a bunch of exits off the state highway, but the highway becomes a residential road which later becomes this single lane avenue to become the backbone of the downtown - Granville Street.

Driving through the downtown was an interesting experience - the waterfront buildings were very un-American. They reminded me in some part of Nariman Point in Mumbai. The best part though, true to what you see in the travel books are the majestic mountains in the background. Throw in light clouds and a sunset and you've got a winner.

Spent the rest of the evening walking down the harbour, and then the really atmospheric and very friendly Robson St. which again is what the travel books say - energy. Lots of falafel, pizza and dim sums in the area. The only downside was that the city seemed really expensive. "Blenz", their Starbucks is so pricey a cuppa (aka putting a teabag in a hot cup of water) is like 3C$!

I stayed in Granville St. Being a Saturday, there were tons of kids in the queue to get in to those fancy clubs and dancefloors. It was drizzling and I was generally tired, so I called it a day. I stayed in the sh*t Ramada Inn with expensive parking, an awfully slow lift and smelly corridors.

YantiSoeparno says:
Another featured blog by my dear Vikram, congrats!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2012
KeshaMosaic says:
Thanks for this post, as I am trying to get to Canada too. I hadn't considered jotting over to Canada from Seattle, but now I have. NICE!!! (Imma still have to get the expensive Starbucks coffee though (haha)).
Posted on: Jun 03, 2012
dreamtourist says:
Woww.. this blog was featured??? Cool.. Congrats and I feel terrible that I missed it.. :)
Posted on: May 30, 2012
The Vancouver harbour
The stark bright pink colour seems…
The stark bright pink colour seem…
A peaceful Saturday evening