Day Twenty Two

London Travel Blog

Welcome

I woke up on the early side again today and did a little bit of homework, lot of bit of surfing the Internet. I was proud of myself, though, because I spent a considerable amount of time reading all of Othello's sparknotes (since I was seeing the play tonight). I learned my lesson with Love's Labour Lost and this time I wanted to be prepared. I took very detailed notes on the plot and it definitely paid off. More about that later.

But before I saw Othello my suitemate and I went to Little Venice in Northwest London. I was surprised how quiet it was since it was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I guess it's not a real big tourist attraction. But, yea, there weren't too many people out which was nice.

Little Venice
It was nice to experience this beautiful area in peace and quiet. Most of the people out and about it seemed were locals. People walking dogs, on their boats, eating lunch. The boats themselves were beautiful--bright, bold colors. And with sun and the reflection on the water the whole area just looked really, really pretty. Makes me want to go to the real Venice.

I couldn't imagine living on one of those house boats. It would probably be fun for, oh, a day or so. Oooh, look at the sunrise on the water. Oooh, let's eat lunch on the deck of the boat. Oooh, look at the ducks. But I seriously couldn't imagine living there all day everyday. It's not like you could really leave your  boat unattended for too long because it would be so easy to just hop on and take it.

Little Venice
Maybe people don't live on these boats like I'm imagining. Maybe they just go out for the weekend. That I could do. That would be pretty fun. But all the time? It would be pretty claustrophobic.

I may have to go back to that area before I leave because they have boat rides down the canal from Little Venice to the London Zoo. That would be really fun because I know I want to go to the Zoo and it would be so nice to ride on one of the boats. Too bad it didn't work out for this afternoon, we just didn't have enough time. Another day.

After walking around Little Venice, taking artsy fartsy pictures, we walked over to Regents Park. We didn't get too far deep into the park because of time restrictions but we were able to go into the Park a little and sit on a bench and people watch.

Little Venice
It was fun. I wish we had more time to just sit, it was such a beautiful day. And there were some fun people out. Little kids kicking soccer balls. People walking dogs (I don't know what's wrong with me, I'm starting to like dogs lately. I will refrain from making a Jennifer-related joke).

After Regent's Park it was off to the Globe again to see Othello. I definitely enjoyed it more than Love Labour's Lost for a number of reasons.

1. We had actual seats as opposed to standing seats (although they were the crappiest seats in the house--the tickets even said obstructed view. Half the play, especially the most crucial moments, was blocked by a big column. Way to give us a good time, NYU)

2. The story was dramatic as opposed to comedic. In terms of acting, the show was much meatier and the performances were a lot more intense.

Little Venice
As a result, I felt like I understand more of the play and the words came alive. They weren't just a script, like it felt like with Love Labour's Lost. The dialogue was meaningful and heartfelt.

3. I knew the story in advance. That helps ALOT. I knew how far into the play we were, I knew who the characters were. And, most importantly, I knew what was actually happening. It was nice to be at a play and, oh I don't know, actually understand the main storyline. Although I did find myself spacing out a little bit because I knew what to expect. I guess I knew what was supposed to happen so I felt like I didn't really have to listen every single second.

We have to review Othello for class and I'm not sure what exactly to say. I feel like all the notes I took were more about the plot of the play itself rather than the production of the play.

Little Venice
I don't really have anything to base my review off of--I'm not too familiar with live performances of Shakespeare. I wouldn't really know a good show from a bad one. I'm just going to leave that for tomorrow morning. Maybe after a night's rest I'll know what I want to say.

I'm starting to enjoy London more and more with each passing day. I'm starting to realize that it's not London that I dislike persay, it's just the area where I'm living/taking classes. It's a weird residential-commercial-touristy hybrid that I don't particularly like. It's not too crowded, yet it is. Shops and stores are nearby, but they're closed a lot. It's just not my favorite.

However, when I went to Chelsea and the Wharfs and today when I went to Little Venice I got to see where real Londoners live.

Love the couple
Real residential areas with no tourists around (except me of course). And those areas of London are really really fab. They're peaceful and quaint and the buildings are beautiful. The area we walked through today (from Little Venice to Regent's Park) was especially nice. You could tell that the buildings were pretty exclusive and the cars outside were NICE (if I could tell that they were nice they must have been reallllly nice). I definitely wouldn't mind living over there.

My stomach's grumbling and I know that nothing I have here will satisfy me. Dad, if you're reading this (and I know you are) I better have some Golden Key waiting for me at my gate! (That's kinda not a joke...)

cooldad says:
Funny you requested Golden Key. I was wondering what you would like!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2007