Day Twenty Seven

London Travel Blog

The poster

In between classes today my suitemate and I went to a 3 pound pizza place. It was a short walk from the academic building (maybe 10 minutes tops). The pizza was really really good. It was an 11" personal pie, thin crust, really tasty. I doubt you could get that kind of pizza for $6 in NYC. Definitely not $3. I'll probably go back one day between classes... it was that good. (Yes, make fun of me)

Then tonight after my classes I went to see The Car Man, a dance interpretation-ish of the opera Carmen set in 1950s USA. The theatre was right by my dorm, probably a 10 minute walk. Really convenient. The theatre was pretty big, especially compared to Little Shop of Horrors last night. And, it's funny, yesterday I commented on how the actors were on stage before the show and I'd never seen that before .

The theatre
.. well, lo and behold, the actors were on stage before the start of The Car Man. So random. Maybe it's just a British thing.

The dance itself... I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess I compare every dance I see to Movin Out, my first real experience with live dance, which was absolutely fantastically amazing in every single way. So maybe that's not fair to this production that I unconsciously compare it. I did feel that The Car Man wasn't as good technically as Movin Out, and I didn't like the choreography as much. When the dancers were all on stage it didn't really flow all that well; I got distracted by all the things going on. It wasn't incredibly beautiful or cohesive as a whole body.

But when the dancers were performing by themselves or with one other dancer.

The theatre
.. then it was amazing. It was ballet-esque, that's the only way I can think to describe it. It was very beautiful, very passionate, very very sensual. First the naked acrobats, now this incredibly sexualized dance. I guess I just have a radar for the rated-R arts.

The story itself took me a little while to understand. In the traditional Carmen, Carmen is this beautiful women and two men love her and chaos ensues. Well, in this version, Carmen was a male car mechanic. First you see him with a woman, and I thought that the woman was Carmen. But, no no, a little bit later you see two figures in a car doing their thing and they come out and its the man... and another man. There was some nervous giggling in the audience, I'm not sure if everyone was completely confortable with how close the two men got.

And they got close.

Now that I'm thinking more and more about the show... I realize that I did like it a lot. I wish the dances themselves required more technical talent though. I could tell that the dancers were skilled, but it seemed like the choreographer could have gotten more out of them. But still, it was very hot and really good. There were parts when (as cliche as it sounds) I literally got chills up and down my spine. There were definitely some moving moments.

Oh, and not to completly ignore the fabulous score, the music was absolutely great. I'm going to download the music as soon as I get home. The only thing was that as I was listening to the music I kept getting a little distracted because all I could hear in my head was  "I want some ice cream, chocolate would be good..." (cough Jennifer cough). But, yea, the music definitely made me want to see Carmen the opera and, thankfully for me, it will be playing at the Met in NYC. And the luck continues...

London