Day Twenty Four

London Travel Blog

St. James's Park

Woke up not particularly early (for once) and hammered out my Othello review. Well... not really hammered. Took a long ass time. Probably because I get distracted so easily. Oooh, I'm going to try and watch US Big Brother online (didn't work. ugh). Oooh, I'm going to check Perez even though I know there are no updates because it's 5:00AM in the states. Oooh, I'm going to check my email for the fourth time this hour. I don't know why I've become so ADD when it comes to homework, but it's getting worse and worse everyday.

After spending way too much time than necessary on my review I decided to go to St. James's park to read the newspaper. Out of all the parks I've been to do so far (Hyde, Regents) I think I liked this one the best.

St. James's Park
It was very peaceful and serene. Felt far far away from the cars and the people. And it wasn't too crowded, but at the same time it wasn't too empty. It was the perfect feel all around.

I've been so used to being hot because my apartment doesn't have AC (it can get brutal, which is odd because the weather hasn't been higher than the low 70s) so I was surprised this afternoon when I actually got cold sitting in the park. The sun wasn't out, I was under a tree, and it was breezy. I actually got goosebumps. Or should I say goosepimples.

Hoping to warm up, I headed on the tube back to Canary Wharf where I saw the LSO last week. They were having a free showing of Some Like It Hot, which I've never seen, so I figured why not. I liked the movie.

St. James's Park
It was cute, if a little predictable and dated. I'm glad I went, even though I was a little chilly after two hours. I haven't seen, well, any of the classic white-and-black movies, and seeing this one made me realize that I should definitely check them out. I'm going to have to see if I can watch Breakfast at Tiffany's online. That's been on my mental list of movies to watch for ages, but I've never seemed to get around to it.

I've read before how Marilyn Monroe, once the idealized beauty symbol, would be a size 6 or 8 by today's standard. And as I was watching the movie (the first movie I've ever seen one with her in it) I couldn't help but fixate on that. Despite myself I kept thinking that she was a little... chubby. Which she wasn't--she was just normal and I guess it's weird to see normal-looking women on the big screen.

St. James's Park
Her arms were actually arms, they weren't sticks. She had some meat on her bone. I thought she was really beautiful and I wish there were more actress that looked like her rather than La Lohan. Wishful thinking, never going to happen.

To end this post on a random note, I read an article on NYT online yesterday about British candy bars and how British chocolate is like 1000x better than American chocolate. First off, I didn't realize that a Hershey bar in the US is different from a Hershey bar in the UK. Am I just dumb, or is that not a commonly known fact? Anyway, when I've been to supermarkets here in the past three weeks I've never really considered buying candy. I noticed how little candy selection they had (compared to American stores) and how different a lot of their chocolates were.

St. James's Park
It was always chocolate and something... toffee, caramel, who knows. Things I didn't like. And in terms of American brands they only had a few I recognized and I just assumed they were the same candy as home. Plus the packaging was so dated-looking, it felt like the candy was from the 1980s. So I hadn't bought any.

After reading this, however, I bought a chunky Kit Kat bar. And oh my god. I don't know if the article biased me or I haven't had an American Kit Kat in so long that I forgot what they taste like. But it was so freaking good. So good. It was an actual bar rather than four sticks side by side. It was like they took the four sticks and stacked them on top of each other so it was extra extra cripsy. Loved that. Plus the chocolate itself was really really good. I dare to say it was one of the best candybars I've ever had (not that I've readlly had so many in my long lifetime).

All this thinking about it, I may have to buy another one tomorrow!

London Eye from St. Jamess Park