Day Twenty Five

London Travel Blog

British Museum

In between classes today I planned on going to Chinatown. It's not too far from class, definitely walking distance, and I hoped to get some Chinese food for the first time in weeks. It was nice and sunny when I left class, perfect weather for a walk. After maybe five minutes it started to rain. Lightly. Then heavier and heavier. I took out my umbrella and all of a sudden the wind kicked in. The heaviest wind I've experienced in a long time. In fact, for the first time in the almost one year that I've had my umbrella, it actually turned inside out. It was a sad moment in my life.

So as an alternative I went back to the British Museum. I went there the first day I was here but I was in such a I-can't-believe-I'm-actually-here daze that not a lot sunk in.

Inside the British Museum
To be honest, it was probably my least favorite museum of all the ones I've been to. Most of the stuff there wasn't art it was just really, really old stuff. I realize it's amazing how long some of these artifacts have survived, but there are just so many chipped vases or eroded parts of statues that I can look at. Also, the museum is not organized in the best way... you'll go into one room and not be able to find your way out.

There were some sections I liked (North American, African, Japanese) but all in all I breezed by a lot, a lot of stuff and not too much really grabbed my attention. Like after a while my eyes began to glaze over and I was looking at everything but not really processing anything. I didn't mind, though, because it was just something to do in between classes.

Inside the British Museum
Plus, I got a double chocolate chip muffin at the cafe there and it was the most amazing thing in the world. It was so perfect I'll probably go back to the museum just for the muffin. (My bf made fun of me for writing about Kit Kat bars the other day and I'm sure I'm going to get it again for this comment).

After my second class today my roommate and I walked down to Aldwych to try and get tickets for Dirty Dancing. It was sold out and it was sold out for tomorrow, too. I wound up getting tickets for next Wednesday (she won't be able to though) and I'm so so so so so so excited. This was the one show I've wanted to see here the most. I don't care if my arts professor made a comment implying that he hated the show and I don't care if it's light and fluffy.

Inside the British Museum
It's going to be awesome and no one can stop me from loving it!

Moving on... after our bad luck I didn't want to just go home and call it a night, so I headed over to Covent Garden to see if I could get any return tickets for the Royal Opera House. I lucked out and was able to get a standing room ticket in the middle of the theater for only 11 pounds. Very, very lucky the man selling me the ticket said.

Before the opera, Cosi fan tutte, started (I had an hour) I wanted to get food. I was in the mood for a meatball sub from Subway and since there are approximately 5,000 of them near my dorm I figured I would just walk around a bit and stumble upon it.

British Museum
Well, I walked around and walked some more. But I didn't stumble upon any. Not in Covent Garden, not on the Strand. And it's kind of confusing... those are major areas and one would assume they'd have at least one Subway. Nope, none. I wound up getting a slice of pizza instead, which actually worked out well because it was really really really good and not all that expensive. I'll probably go back again.

This was the first time I went to a performance at the ROH and the theater was beautiful. The opera itself was really good. The singing was amazing (although I'm not too educated in opera, I don't know if I could tell if the singers were off). The story was about two men who bet with a third man that their fiances are faithful.

British Museum
So they pretend to go off to war and come back in disguises to test their gf's. I really liked that they put the show in a modern day context. Characters used cell phones and drank Starbucks. And when the two men came back in disguise one of them was dressed as a hippie and the other dressed as a biker. It was seriously hilarious, hearing a man dressed in a black t-shirt with a jeweled skull on it sing Italian opera. And when the girls fell in love, singing about how handsome they were I couldn't help but laugh. It was so great.

The end was kinda weird... The guys were hitting on their friend's gf (rather than their own gf) and they both eventually got them to fall in love. The man who started the bet told the two men to marry the girls--which I don't really understand--because at least now they know they're not these perfect, idealized creatures.

British Museum
 (Um, what?) And then after the sham wedding they pretend to come home from the army and call their gf's out on being cheaters. Then they reveal to their girlfriends that their supposed lovers were them in disguise. And this is where it gets kinda fuzzy... the last song is about how lucky the man is who can always look on the bright side of things. The end. What?? Did I miss something? Aren't they supposed to storm off because their fiances fell in love with other (weird) men over the course of hours and completely forgot they existed? Or is it just me?

But still, the opera was really good... loved the costumes, characters, acting, singing. And I really enjoyed the plot. It was easy to follow and worked well in a modern day context.

Crazy woman's hair!

I think I had some good karma today, too. During the first act a guy standing next to me quickly moved into an empty seat in the section in front of us. At the interval (intermission) the usher told him she got some complaints about him and that the manager said he needs to stand. And then people sitting around him started to defend the stander, arguing (rightfully so) that if the seat is empty why can't he sit in it. The usher said something about policy, that the same people always buy the cheap tickets and sit in the expensive seats, and that if he can do it than everyone else should be able to.

Well, right before the second act starts the stander guy said to me, "Do you want to sit in this seat," tapping an empty seat in front of him, in the last row of the stalls.

Again
I said, "Oh, no, I don't want to get in trouble" because the usher was looking at people's tickets, especially when two other girls were caught sitting when they weren't supposed. Then he says, "oh, no they have a ticket," and a woman sitting next to the empty seat gave me the ticket telling me to take the seat. I was shocked, thanked them both, and went to sit. Sure enough the usher ran over asking to see my ticket. I showed it to her and she was surprised (probably because she saw me come from the direction of the standing tickets).

So yea, I got to watch the second half of the opera from--are you ready for this--143 pound tickets. 143 pounds! I couldn't believe it. I kind of want to know why they had this extra ticket, but I didn't ask because by the time I was sitting the opera had started.

British Museum
But seriously... 143 pounds. It wasn't even front orchestra, it was the stalls. I'd say at least 20 rows from the stage, probably more. But, hey, I paid 11 pounds and got to rest my tired feet. I could not believe the luck I was having.

And thinking back on the day, this amount of luck is unheard of for me. For once in my life, everything just fell together really nicely. Lucked out on a ticket. Lucked out on finding good pizza. Lucked out on getting a seat for the second act. Give me more days like this and I may actually grow to love London. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

cooldad says:
Creepy eyes
Creepy eyes
Fountain
Fountain
Almost as pretty as moms
Almost as pretty as mom's
Skulls
Skulls
British Museum
I felt like I was on the set of Li…
I felt like I was on the set of L…
And again