Day Seventeen

London Travel Blog

Natural History Museum

Today was a museum kind of day. First I went to the Museum of Natural History. There were so many school classes and adorable little kids running around. I just wanted to snatch one and take one home... in as noncreepy a way as possible. And those high school-aged British boys. MmmMmm. Oh, if I were single... (I kid)

The museum itself was absolutely gorgeous. It looked like a castle. And it was absolutely huge. I spent a solid two hours just looking at everything. I do think it would have been a lot more enjoyable to go there with a little kid. They were just so amazed and excited at everything, their enthusiasm would have rubbed off. But nonetheless it was still pretty fun to see all the animals and whatnot.

Then I went to the Science Museum.

Natural History Museum
Some of the exhibits were pretty cool, some were a little boring for me. They had lots of hands on stuff which was pretty fun. (Jennifer would have loved it) A couple of the exhibits were extremely environment-focused. All about going green and recycling. I've noticed that Britons seem to be a lot greener than New Yorkers... I see more people using canvas bags to go shopping and see a lot less general waste. I really doubt that a museum in NYC has an exhibit all about recycling. I could be wrong, but it just seemed distinctly British to me.

Then I made a quick stop to the V+A museum. It was absolutely massive and pretty intimidating. I was acturally really exhausted from my busy day, all the walking and museum-ing I had done. I just didn't have the energy to look at everything and read everything.

Part of a massive diplodocus
Sure things were beautiful and stunning, but all I wanted to do at that point was lie down. I do want to go back there eventually because they had some really great things... clothing, furniture, mirrors, sculptures. Really ornate, gorgeous pieces. It definitely wasn't your traditional art museum.

The only section I did exhaust was the fashion display. Of course my camera's batteries died mid-way through the Science Museum so I wasn't able to take any pictures. But those dresses on display were absolutely breath-taking. I haven't been as into fashion lately because of school and work and now class again. I've been going more for comfort with a little bit of trendiness, but I just haven't had the energy to come up with a cool, unique ensamble.

Giant sloth
But seeing all the beautiful clothes made me want to care again. They were truly works of art.

Part of the section was a New York Designer expo so there were a lot of American designers I recognized. And they had maps of NYC around the exhibit...Soho, Tribeca, Upper East Side. I could see my dorm from last year... it was sad. That was the last thing I needed... a reminder of how much I miss New York!

But it was also happy because there were beautiful, beautiful clothes. I think I'm going to go to the museum again this weekend because I'll be in the area for the BBC Proms. So I'll go back and look at everything I missed and also take some photos of the dresses. Cuz they were literally to die for. And words alone cannot descibe how gorgeous they are.

Amphibian

A couple hours ago I was all set to call it an early night and just get a really full night of sleep. But of course I crapped the hours away doing who knows what online and bam it's 11:30. I did have a very full day, but I just feel like a waste when I come back to the dorm and spend hours online. What am I even doing for hours? I honestly don't know. When you're at class the minutes tick by but when you're online 20 minutes pass by in the blink of an eye. I really hate that.

But is it really my fault I'm on the computer most of the evening... I mean, what else could I be doing? I don't have any books or DVDs (surely I won't have time for that I thought before I left. HA!) and everything here closes so god awfully early. So I guess it's okay.

Reptile
It's just so annoying. Why do I always feel guilty about everything in my life? I'm not Catholic.

On a random closing note, I really hope I don't get sick while I'm here. Two of my suitemates were sick this past weekend and I think my roommate's sick now, too. I can hear lots of coughing. I know I'm taking the risk of jinxing myself by saying this, but I haven't been sick this ENTIRE school year and I don't want to start now. No colds, no fevers, no nothing. This entire year. I guess that evens things out from freshman year when I had countless colds, a bad fever, and a stomach virus the day of the Billy Joel concert (I know... the best concert ever. Don't rub it in) But seriously, if I break my not-getting-sick streak while abroad I will be so effing pissed. I'd almost rather be sick on my birthday than sick in a foreign country, in a foreign dorm, all alone. On second thought, I take it back. I definitely don't want to be sick on my birthday either. I don't want to be sick at all. God I hope I didn't jinx myself...

Tiger
Roar
Roar
Elephant
Elephant
Did it just eat Busters hand?
Did it just eat Buster's hand?
Eek