Day Seven

London Travel Blog

Random phone booth

Yea... so that bomb scare business. I was literally a block from where the car was found that night; the bomb was on Haymarket and I was on Panton Street. Google map it if you don't believe me.

I laid low for most of the day because of the bomb scare. I wrote my review for Boeing-Boeing (I wound up given it 4/5 stars. Let me know if you'd like to read it in entirety) and finished my travel piece on first impressions of London (depressing and sad. Again, tell me if you want to read it).

But I was getting cabin fever by the end of the day so out I went...to West End, the site of bomb scare number one (and subsquent bomb scare numbers two and three). I was planning on going to TKTS in Leicester Square, but I saw the theatre for Avenue Q and went there instead.

Natural Portrait Gallery
17.50 pound, front-row balcony sets. The seats, predictably enough, were way, way up in the noseblood section.

But ohmygod.

That was probably the single most rewarding theatre experience of my entire life. 6/5 stars. It was absolutely fabulous, hilarious, great, amazing. I could go on about it forever. Lots of times when I love a show there's still something little that bothers me: one performer, the sound quality, a little long. But everything about the show was absolutely perfect.

The performers literally became one with the puppet. I heard this before about the NYC production--that you can't separate the actor and the puppet--and rolled my eyes. But it's so, so true. Their voices literally sounded like monsters (which was cute and endearing rather than annoying) and their facial expressions mirrored their puppets.

West End

And if you think about it: these guys are some of the hardest working performers on the West End. They sang, acted, operated a puppet--and looking completely and utterly natural. The production was a well-oiled machine. Which is a big feat considering a couple of the puppets required two people to operate (which was kinda awkward because only one of them talked and sang. The other was literally a mute)

But probably the most impressive parts of the show were the points in the show when actors had conversations with themselves. Some actors played a couple roles and inevitably there would come times when those characters would talk to each other. Their characters had completely different voices and completely different personalities so it was absolutely amazing to see the actors embody duel roles and literally talk to themselves.

Random statue near West End

The only tiny complaint I have is aimed at myself. I've listened to the CD 5,000+ times and know all the words to all the songs. Were I not so familiar with all the songs I probably would have found the show to be even funnier than I did already. But even so, it was pretty awesome and there was some great jokes that weren't on the album.

On the way home I went a long, not-so-direct way. Rather than taking the Picadilly line east I took the Northern line south, so I was pretty far away from home when I transferred to the Circle line. But it was actually kind of fun, riding the Circle line halfway around its loop. There was a group of teenage British boys in the car and they were fun to listen to. They were loud, drinking, and kind of crude; had they been Americans I would have found them really annoying. But they were British and had charming accents and even when they talked about "girls fucking some random dude" they sounded bloody charming. But since my boyfriend's reading this I'll end my post now. I love you baby!

Feels like home
Feels like home
Sign for Orlando Bloom in In Celeb…
Sign for Orlando Bloom in In Cele…
Avenue Q!