Day Nine

London Travel Blog

Church on Clerkenwell

So in the words of the honorable George W. Bush, I let the terrorists win today. I had all these super ideas for stuff I wanted to do today... but it all involved crowded, touristy areas. And it was depressing because it was GORGEOUS today. The first sunny day with absolutely no rain. Damn car bombs.

Anyway, so I laid low today, read The Sunday Times. I gotta say... not a huge fan of the British media. I feel like the writing just isn't up to the NYT standard. For example, in an article about the recent flooding: "Besides the dead, at least 600 people were injured." Okay...there's just something way off about that sentence. Besides the dead just isn't a good way to start off your sentence.

With that being said, there were a few interesting articles. The British government is going to give fish a bill of rights.

Hayward Gallery
Seriously. "Home Office guidelines will ensure that fish used for scientfic study are monitored for stress." Give me a break!

Another story was really sad. In Zimbabwe inflation is 15,000%. $1 = Z$300,000. And officials are incredibly corrupt and make tons of money off of this. "Say you buy US $100 at the official rate -- that costs you Z$25,000. Then you sell that US $100 on the streets and you get Z$30 million. With that Z$30 million, at the official rate you can buy more than US $100,000 -- all for your initial outlay of about eight cents." And then it just talked about how horribly impoverish people are in the country and how teachers have to leave their jobs to "sell sex to buy food." It was just really, really sad.

Onto better stuff, I went out lateish in the day to Southbank which was lots of fun.

Sculptures on the roofs
I took the bus for the first time since I got here. It was pretty fun riding on the top. I felt like a lame tourist but whatever you can't go to London and not ride on top of a double decker bus.

The reason we went down by the Thames was for my suitemate's photojournalism class. She wanted a picture of someone inside this cool fountain holding an umbrella. It was fun and she got some pretty cool pictures. And--if I say so myself--I got some pretty cool photos too (as you shall see). Since the sun was actually out today I was able to get some cool sun hitting the water pictures. How artsy.

Then we went to this Japanese restaurant for dinner. I didn't get real Japanese food. Obviously. I just got this chicken and rice thing which was pretty good. I did try the salad that came with it, which was horrible and made me want to die. But I tried it. I'm impressed with myself.

Speaking of food, my lovely suitemate was at this store that sells American food and she got me peanut butter!!! Ah! I'm going to buy jelly tomorrow and it is going to be glorious! I know I sound insane but you don't realize how much you miss things from home (like peanut butter) until it's gone. Not so much people... just peanut butter. :-D

Its a sculpture